• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I've been working on the carb on my GP61. Ever since it was new I had to run the needles at 2 3/8 on the low and 1 on the high. It ran fine like that for over 3 gallons, but I've been having some issues with it lately and I decided it was time to take a look at the carb. This engine always amazed me with how dry it stays inside the cowl. There has never been a drop of fuel anywhere. When I pulled the cowl off the other night it was obvious something was leaking. It turns out there was a leak at the metering diaphragm cover.

When I took the carb apart the metering cover was tight, and all the gaskets look fine. The carb screen was very clean and everything looked great. I ran some carb cleaner through everything and made sure the three idle holes were clean, open and flowing. I blew a little air through everything, checked the metering lever height and reassembled it with new gaskets.

Before I reinstalled the carb, I checked the reeds and the gaskets and it all looks good. I've got the carb back on and everything is mounted to the removable engine dome. I'm going to try and get it back together tonight and test run it Saturday.

I've talked before about how crowded the inside of the engine dome is so I added a picture of that.
20160531_214858_resized.jpg
20160531_215103_resized.jpg
20160531_221617_resized.jpg
20160601_204333_resized.jpg
20160601_204340_resized.jpg
20160601_212935_resized.jpg

thurmma

150cc
Installed a new tail wheel arm and steering setup on the Edge. The old arm had delaminated, broken where the tail wheel mounted to it. I gave @Vern.Smith a call at White Rose and ordered a good one from him. Got it 3 days later and finally got around to putting it on.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
It was a workshop kind of night last night. Redid some wiring inside of my 35% Yak and replace a couple of screws that went missing from my elevator servo mounts last time I flew it :oblong: I was wondering why it felt a little soft on the elevator and then I saw it when I was breaking it down. They must have vibrated out the last 2 flights I did because they were there when I put the airplane together.

My Slick needed the forward canopy alignment pins glued back in place, they're carbon so a little thin CA dripped all around them locked them in place, followed up by some medium CA on the backside to fill in the gaps. I started to remove the fuel tank so I could replace it with my larger 20oz Danhakl Design tank but got side tracked and left it aside for now. I need to replace all of the fuel lines, there's some air bubbles getting in the line between the tank and the engine which almost stalled it last time I was out flying :eek: Cheep insurance just to replace all the lines.

Lastly, my 25% Slick got some much needed love with a new propeller. Replaced the old broken Xoar PJN electric with a Falcon Carbon electric. The Falcon is 1/2oz lighter than the Xoar, and it's a 20" prop vs the Xoar's 19". Pretty stoked to go out and fly the Slick again, it's been my go-to travel airplane when space is tight and I still want to fly something big.

20160602_183651.jpg