• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

thurmma

150cc
Got the regulators fitted with the proper connectors and the CB200 mounted tonight.

20160711_235315.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
My ultimate started fine. I don't think it's me.....but my ex wife would probably say it its me
All "ex's" say the same thing. Sorry for your ignition woes. Have any extra Hall sensors you can try? If not, I have two brand new still in the packages. Hmm, I wonder where I got those? LOL... Anyway, if you need one, let me know. I can send ya one.

sweetpea

100cc
I'm actually going to pack up both engines and send them to Gerhardt at AI. The Edge engine has always had some issues starting the first time, but after that would run great and start easy. The Ultimate I really feel the hub has slipped. I've had both engines since around 2004-2006 so it's probably time they went in for a check up. I spoke in length to him last night about the issues.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Question for the masses...

I had to remove my wing and elevator servos from my 107" Yak (there are 6 total servos) to do some maintenance to the servos and to the mounting rails for each of them. What do you guys do when it comes to the mounting holes being nearly stripped out? I don't know if gluing in some new rails ontop would work the best in the elevators with space being so tight (not to mention it would move my servo arms out of alignment with the elevator horns), probably be just fine with the ailerons. Maybe saturating with thin CA then brushing some thinned epoxy over the top?

What say ye? o_O

I discovered some Slop with my 7955's while doing the teardown. I was expecting to see a little wear on the gears from the 5-6 years of constant abuse, but all they needed was a new bearing on the top of the output shaft. A simple $5 part and we were good as new, even the gear mesh was almost perfect, very little if none at all!

20160712_155812.jpg

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!

I had to remove my wing and elevator servos from my 107" Yak (there are 6 total servos) to do some maintenance to the servos and to the mounting rails for each of them. What do you guys do when it comes to the mounting holes being nearly stripped out? I don't know if gluing in some new rails ontop would work the best in the elevators with space being so tight (not to mention it would move my servo arms out of alignment with the elevator horns), probably be just fine with the ailerons. Maybe saturating with thin CA then brushing some thinned epoxy over the top?

What say ye? o_O

I discovered some Slop with my 7955's while doing the teardown. I was expecting to see a little wear on the gears from the 5-6 years of constant abuse, but all they needed was a new bearing on the top of the output shaft. A simple $5 part and we were good as new, even the gear mesh was almost perfect, very little if none at all!

View attachment 84295

Tanner, I have had a couple of stripped holes. Not fun, especially when you realize you "could" have been flying with them that way for awhile. That is why I have stepped up the rigorous maintenance checks on my planes. I've been removing the servos, putting a drop of "medium" CA in to each hole. Letting it cure completely. Then using the Dubro 893 socket head servo screws to replace the original screws. The one that come with most servos are ok, but I like the added bonus of not stripping out a Philips head screw. Plus the Dubro 893's seem to bite into the holes better.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Socket-Head...476512?hash=item5688edd960:g:RlQAAOSwY0lXQ3N4

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Tanner, I have had a couple of stripped holes. Not fun, especially when you realize you "could" have been flying with them that way for awhile. That is why I have stepped up the rigorous maintenance checks on my planes. I've been removing the servos, putting a drop of "medium" CA in to each hole. Letting it cure completely. Then using the Dubro 893 socket head servo screws to replace the original screws. The one that come with most servos are ok, but I like the added bonus of not stripping out a Philips head screw. Plus the Dubro 893's seem to bite into the holes better.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Socket-Head...476512?hash=item5688edd960:g:RlQAAOSwY0lXQ3N4

I'm with you there, I do prefer to use those screws instead of the stock phillips head ones. The builder of the airplane felt the same way so that's what's on everything already :)

Medium CA should fix the problem good enough then eh?

I have new Dubro Ball Links coming in the mail as well, give this airplane a tuneup :D

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I'm with you there, I do prefer to use those screws instead of the stock phillips head ones. The builder of the airplane felt the same way so that's what's on everything already :)

Medium CA should fix the problem good enough then eh?

I have new Dubro Ball Links coming in the mail as well, give this airplane a tuneup :D
Cool..builder knew what he was doing obviously. Yes, the medium ca works great. As long as the hole isn't "TOO" stripped out. I had one that was too stripped for any screw to bite. I ended up putting a piece of tape on the underside of the hole to seal it from below. Then mixed up some five minute epoxy. (I know..such a waste) But better than wasting an entire airplane due to a servo that falls out. Anyway, fill the stripped hole with epoxy. Let it cure completely, re-drill to correct size. But start with tinniest bit and work up to correct size. Pretty well bullet proof.

Daytonarc

70cc twin V2

What say ye? o_O

View attachment 84295

Most servo screws are #2. If this is the case with your plane and they are getting a little loose just wick some thin ca in the wood to strengthen and replace with #3 screw. http://www.microfasteners.com/stw03...cket-head-washer-head-sheet-metal-screws.html

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I wanted to add one other thing that I have recently been doing with superb success. Instead of drilling holes the size of the servo screw, I have been drilling one size smaller. Then when using the socket head screws, they bite very nicely and you don't strip out a Philips head putting them in. Them buggers don't come loose.