• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
It's here! And somehow we managed to get it through the door, but it fought us mightily.

20170730_144734_resized.jpg

I was quite shocked on my way to the field this morning when I pulled up behind Tony and he had the SU31 with him. Unfortunately he didn't get to fly it. We had a ton of trouble getting it to run. Four of us will have sore shoulders in the morning. It turns out the throttle servo went south. It has a metal gear 400 ounce JR 8711 on the throttle which should be about bullet proof on a throttle, but it seems to have a gear train problem.

We had finally got it started when I had the throttle at about half. But, the second I would throttle back it would quit. It ran perfectly from a little less than half through wide open, but would just quit under that. Then I heard something odd. When you worked the throttle under half you could hear the servo motor spinning free. Over half it sounded normal. So I guess that adds another upgrade to the list.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
It's here! And somehow we managed to get it through the door, but it fought us mightily.

View attachment 98010

I was quite shocked on my way to the field this morning when I pulled up behind Tony and he had the SU31 with him. Unfortunately he didn't get to fly it. We had a ton of trouble getting it to run. Four of us will have sore shoulders in the morning. It turns out the throttle servo went south. It has a metal gear 400 ounce JR 8711 on the throttle which should be about bullet proof on a throttle, but it seems to have a gear train problem.

We had finally got it started when I had the throttle at about half. But, the second I would throttle back it would quit. It ran perfectly from a little less than half through wide open, but would just quit under that. Then I heard something odd. When you worked the throttle under half you could hear the servo motor spinning free. Over half it sounded normal. So I guess that adds another upgrade to the list.
Just stop...right there. Don't worry about anything. Just crate it up, and send it right back out the door to me. I will be happy to upgrade it. :yesss:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Don't listen to Rob! I will come and get it! Made a "Great Lakes, Ill. to Mobile, Al." run in 11 hours FLAT with a 72 Buick Le Sabre. Just give me some time to find another 72 Le Sabre! Plenty room in the back seat for that beast!:adore:
Umm, negative. I once owned a '70 LeSabre. Not enough room. Trust me. Oh they were a boat, but not like my '66 Bonneville. Now brother, we could put my Behemoth Yak..actually both of them in the trunk of that monstrosity. LOL

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Decided that a 3" offset arm just wasn't enough on the Edge, so I went to a 4.5" offset arm.

View attachment 98029

Now just to move my rx packs behind the wing tube and I think this airplane will be dial'd :)
How many times I gotta tell ya to straighten those servo grommets. Don't you know how much it bugs me to not be able to reach in this monitor screen to straighten them? :spongebob:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
A little progress this weekend. Though I put in another 70 hour work week, I mustarded up some motivation to get a little accomplished on the new 106CS powered Edge.

There are only (2) things about the 3w engines that I have kind of love/hate. I love the motors, but I hate the angle of the exhaust ports and I really hate the fact they do not allow for easy connection for the throttle linkage. Oh well, I fabricated an aluminum throttle arm and attached it.
20170730_151558.jpg

With a titanium...(cuz that is about all I had on hand the correct length) turnbuckle connected to an aluminum throttle arm on the servo. The geometry is really smooth thankfully.
20170730_151607.jpg

Also fashioned a choke pull rod for the dub 106. Daddy's buddy is overseeing my progress. Dang rat dog is a slave driver. LOL
20170730_151621.jpg

The 106 originally came with a plastic fuel inlet fitting. These were known to crack and this one was no different. Sitting on the shelf all this time made no difference. It too cracked, so a new metal 90 degree fitting was the call for replacement.20170730_151742.jpg

Since the Edge will have now have KS 5 rear dump canisters, It was time to cover those unsightly holes where the original exhaust of the DLE 111 once was.
20170730_151807.jpg

The smaller "STAR" louvered vents from Taildragger RC should look just fine here.
20170730_151819.jpg

While at D and B this morning, I got a couple of upholstery push in clips to plug the holes of the previous choke rod holes. Also a rubber grommie for the hole where the new dub choke rod will exit the cowl. Both louvers in place and the cowl is looking pretty good.20170730_155205.jpg

Assembled with 48 2/56 miniature bolts, washers and nuts...the louvers are secured. I plan to put a drop of "black" CA on each of the nuts on the inside. Last thing I need is a nut coming loose and having it and the washer go through the intake of that brand new 106cs.
20170730_155216.jpg

Got a few other minor details out of the way also. Working feverishly to get the planes ready I am taking to Tri-Cities in less than a month.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
How many times I gotta tell ya to straighten those servo grommets. Don't you know how much it bugs me to not be able to reach in this monitor screen to straighten them? :spongebob:

Straight servo grommets don't allow for proper servo frequency modulation in the case set which can transfer irregular undulating vortexes through the brass eyelet stabilizers via mounting screws and cause airframe sinusoidal wave like motions during high-G deposits upon the servo itself. Furthermore, these unregulated undulating vortexes can cause higher disruptions within modulated servo frequency output which can then force depolarization of the proton infused prefabulated amulite capsules which will cause re-attenuation during predetermined movements of the servo itself.

In short, the quantum couplers within the servo itself will dynamically destabilize if the grommet sets are placed too parallel to each other.

:oblong:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Straight servo grommets don't allow for proper servo frequency modulation in the case set which can transfer irregular undulating vortexes through the brass eyelet stabilizers via mounting screws and cause airframe sinusoidal wave like motions during high-G deposits upon the servo itself. Furthermore, these unregulated undulating vortexes can cause higher disruptions within modulated servo frequency output which can then force depolarization of the proton infused prefabulated amulite capsules which will cause re-attenuation during predetermined movements of the servo itself.

In short, the quantum couplers within the servo itself will dynamically destabilize if the grommet sets are placed too parallel to each other.

:oblong:
:lol2: Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.