• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
After a little flying this morning, I decided I would get a couple more things accomplished this after noon. To start with, the Pitts has had a problem since day one. Upon installing the fuel tank purchased from TDRC, I did things as I normally do. However every time I would either put fuel in the tank or remove it, it would take "fooooooor-eveeeeeeer". Grrr... It was like it was restricted in someway. But I never had any problem with the engine and it never leaked. But it bugged the crap outta me. So I removed all the lines from the tank, then the tank from the Pitts. I pressurized the "carb" line...yup, flow was real good. Then I pressurized the "fill" line. Ah ha!!! I could hardly blow through that silly 90 degree fitting for the fill line. Upon removing the fitting from the tank, I chose the correct drill bit size and ran it through both ends. I could tell the one side was clear and open. However the other side...the side that was in the tank, it was like it was plugged or stopped up. So, a little drill action and "boom" baby. flow is just like all the rest of my TDRC tanks. Apparently the nipple fitting had not been drilled completely through at the factory. No worries. Just glad that little headache is resolved. LOL. Rinsed thoroughly and pressure washed and back into the tank it went. Tank is now back in the Pitts and ready for another voyage.

Next I decided I needed to get the Edge put back together as much as I can until the new left wing panel, prop and spinner arrive next week. First, I wanted to inspect one final time, that beautiful red headed 106cs. I would have been so upset if I had damage that brand new engine.
20170923_184222.jpg
20170923_184215.jpg

But everything looked just as clean and pristine as the day I put it on....so on with the cowl. First the bottom half..
20170923_185454.jpg
20170923_185517.jpg

Then the top...
20170923_190327.jpg
20170923_190333.jpg

Once the cowl was bolted back into place, I reinstalled the canopy and hatch to make sure everything still aligned up.
20170923_190408.jpg
The majority of the damage was the left wing panel, prop and spinner. But I still wanted to make sure everything was right even though the entire airframe was gone over with a fine toothed comb. Gotta say, those Pilot RC airframes are tough as nails. And yes, that new decal on the top of the hatch? I "earned" that one fair and square. LOL.
20170923_190455.jpg
20170923_190508.jpg

The Behemoth Yak (2) baffling is redesigned and complete, Pitts tank issue resolved, Edge major repairs done. Not much left to do now except wait for parts to arrive. Hopefully weather will cooperate tomorrow because I plan to take the "dub" 170 Sukhoi out for some Sunday relaxation flying.

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
Finished the Ryan this evening! I installed the control horns and pushrods. I set up the radio. I put the landing gear on. Then finally balanced it. I needed to add 3 oz of lead in the cowl. That's because there is supposed to be a gearbox in the nose with a heavy old motor... all up weight with the 3s 2200 battery and extra nose weight is 2 lbs 9 oz. The motor I have in it is the Omega that was the standard with the 3DHS 41" Edge. Should be plenty of power for this plane:)

The pictures are of the "good" side without the paint splatters...

1d7e656acc7f680845d0c5e15d91ba1b.jpg
2d43717c2822839c25e163b6fc115fda.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
View attachment 99088

Well sorry I barely took any pics today was just having fun at the field. Luckily a buddy got a good pic of it.

Specs
81" span
76" long
1380 sq in of wing area
DLE55 on us nose
13.4lbs minus fuel.

This all equals one kick ass ride. I had lots of people asking me about it today at the field. Couldn't convince any one to fly it though.

Yes I really like that and the size. Did you build that plane. I hate to ask but do you have a cad drawing of that plane. That or a 30cc plane would be perfect for my are it is always windy and I believe the 30cc or the 50cc would be the answer. Thanks for taking the time to get a picture.

BalsaDust

Yes I really like that and the size. Did you build that plane. I hate to ask but do you have a cad drawing of that plane. That or a 30cc plane would be perfect for my are it is always windy and I believe the 30cc or the 50cc would be the answer. Thanks for taking the time to get a picture.

Yes I built it and it's my design. Everything for this one has been done by hand on paper but I'm working on getting it into CAD. Once it's in there plans will be available.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Yay oh yay!!! Got the email I have been waiting for. Those people at Pilot RC are just the finest people ever. My Edge wing and Yak canopy are complete and being shipped out as we speak. I am so excited to get that wing especially. I needs me some red headed 106 stick time.:brian-banana: I promise, I promise, I PROMISE...I will be a good boy when it gets here.:devil-dance:
DSC01829.JPG DSC01830.JPG
I am thinking I will hold off on replacing the canopy on the big Yak for awhile. I mean, if I have it, the original won't get any further damage, right? Isn't that the way it always works out? LOL. Even the replacement support parts will be coming too.
DSC01832.JPG DSC01834.JPG DSC01836.JPG DSC01840.JPG
To show you all what kind of a guy Tony and Pilot RC is, the new Behemoth Yak (2) was brand new and never out of the box until I purchased it a few months ago. However it has been about 2 years since the original purchaser bought it and had it shipped to him in California. It had been stored in an airplane hanger until I contacted Steve at Chief Aircraft to purchase it. Upon getting the Yak home and beginning assembly of it, I found that the cf stab tube was too short. I can not say why it was the wrong one, but I didn't dare trust it because it was about 4" too short. So I have been using the stab tube from the previous Yak. I would continue to use that stab tube, but one day the first Yak will be rebuilt and probably given to my friend Aaron. When I explained to Tony the stab tube that came with the new Yak was the wrong length, he quickly and most graciously told me, (and I quote) "no problem", my mistake, I will send you the correct one. Free of charge. It will come with the other replacement parts.
DSC01839.JPG
I've had a couple PAU's, a couple or three Hangar 9's, (like 50 I would guess, LOL), A couple Aero-Works, Lanier, Ohio RC, Top Flight, Seagull, VVRC and multiple others that I forget. I have not yet owned an Extreme Flight or 3DHobbyshop. Of the companies I have dealt with through the years in this hobby, I have yet to find a company such as Pilot RC. I am speaking in terms of airframe distributors. I am starting to give second thoughts to the 40 center that will replace Baby later this year. I had decided to not go Pilot RC this time around. But now? It's like I "want" to show my support to the company that has constantly been so amazing to me.