• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Received the baffles for my AJ Laser today, the airplane is set to be here shortly :)

20171201_104220.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ok the cowl is on and fits nicely. Got the holes drilled and been able to keep the gap to a minimum. Now I can start to cut the holes for the exhaust and maybe some clearance holes for the spark plug caps. Will see how that all goes then work on the air ducts to the engine.
View attachment 100484
Very nicely done. I am going to remember this and refer back to it. I "MAY" attempt a very large 330 cowl surgery to separate two halves that make a single whole. LOL

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I used separate small squares on mine I was going to make round ones, but decided squares were fine.

Ok the cowl is on and fits nicely. Got the holes drilled and been able to keep the gap to a minimum. Now I can start to cut the holes for the exhaust and maybe some clearance holes for the spark plug caps. Will see how that all goes then work on the air ducts to the engine.
View attachment 100484
By the way gents, is there a specific saw to use for this procedure? I see there are a variety of sizes out there. I purchased some just before the Pitts build. But am thinking I may want a fresh brand new unused one for the 330 cowl should I choose to cut it in two.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
By the way gents, is there a specific saw to use for this procedure? I see there are a variety of sizes out there. I purchased some just before the Pitts build. But am thinking I may want a fresh brand new unused one for the 330 cowl should I choose to cut it in two.

I had two Zona saws I tried to count the teeth but I belive the one that worked the best was one with about 40 teeth per inch. It may sound wrong but I had a new one and and older one the older one worked better and seamed not to grab as much and slide a little easier just my observation. But down the sides the new one worked better. Cross the top and corner the older one. The only thing I can say is hold the saw at the smallest angle possible. Try to have as many teeth in contact as possible.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I had two Zona saws I tried to count the teeth but I belive the one that worked the best was one with about 40 teeth per inch. It may sound wrong but I had a new one and and older one the older one worked better and seamed not to grab as much and slide a little easier just my observation. But down the sides the new one worked better. Cross the top and corner the older one. The only thing I can say is hold the saw at the smallest angle possible. Try to have as many teeth in contact as possible.
Thank you. This all makes perfect sense now. And duh!! I just remembered something. I don't have to worry about ruining a painted cowl because the 330 cowl is going to get repainted anyway. As long as I don't mess it up and cut crooked or something like that. I think I am going to give it a shot.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Thank you. This all makes perfect sense now. And duh!! I just remembered something. I don't have to worry about ruining a painted cowl because the 330 cowl is going to get repainted anyway. As long as I don't mess it up and cut crooked or something like that. I think I am going to give it a shot.
I'm pretty sure mine is the Fine Kerf Zona saw. If I remember I'll check tomorrow since I store it in the package.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Going to have to spend more time in the shop on my Extra than expected. The doubler that carries the 3mm blind nut for the left stab forward mounting screw and carries the stab anti rotation pin is completely missing :mad:. Just when I was starting to really like this ARF :face-palm:.

At least they put the right side one in..........

1202170215-00.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Going to have to spend more time in the shop on my Extra than expected. The doubler that carries the 3mm blind nut for the left stab forward mounting screw and carries the stab anti rotation pin is completely missing :mad:. Just when I was starting to really like this ARF :face-palm:.

At least they put the right side one in..........

View attachment 100511
Dang, that sucks. But if this is all you have to deal with I would say it is still a pretty decent arf.