• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Perfect! Looks much better for sure.

Perfect like that and I bet so do you.

Yes it is. I also widened the forks a bit and stuck a nice 1.5" rubber wheel on with a brass bushing. Spins like a top. The way the plane stance is improved should help the ground handling. Going to start mounting the engine and canister. Once they are properly set I can open up the bottom cover for the stinger exit and put some of the herringbone air exits back in and cover it in white Ultra Coat.

G0010423.JPG
G0020426.JPG

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Well took the dremmel tool out and just kept cutting the body away unit all the broken and splintered wood was removed. And the picture shows what is left of the fuselage to start with.
View attachment 108390

Can you piece any of the damaged wood ( That was forward of the tail section ) back together in order to give you a template or make a template ?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@49dimes
The plane belonged to my flying buddy and it looks likes the plane must have split in half and he strip the plane and just kept the back half. All I did was clean it up make a clean cut on the covering and cut all the shattered wood off . There was nothing left to make a template from, maybe that is why he never tried to fix it. This repair is not going to be a master piece. Hope fully it will be light and very aerobatic. And also teach me how to work with an electrically powered aeroplane and what works and does not work. Just a question does anyone know were I can get a 3/4 inch diameter carbon wing tube with sleeve. Looked at all the companies that I know but cannot find everything but 3/4 diameter.

Last edited:

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
@49dimes
The plane belonged to my flying buddy and it looks likes the plane must have split in half and he strip the plane and just kept the back half. All I did was clean it up make a clean cut on the covering and cut all the shattered wood off . There was nothing left to make a template from, maybe that is why he never tried to fix it. This repair is not going to be a master piece. Hope fully it will be light and very aerobatic. And also teach me how to work with an electrically powered aeroplane and what works and does not work. Just a question does anyone know were I can get a 3/4 inch diameter carbon wing tube with sleeve. Looked at all the companies that I know but cannot find everything but 3/4 diameter.
try these guys
https://www.rockwestcomposites.com/

and i think you can ask that the tubes you buy be checked for slop free telescoping. there are different thicknesses and types of lay-up so make sure you pick the right thing.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Spent the last two days being a shop mechanic. Made a custom prop drive hub and steel prop washer. Now that all the mechanical is done, just a few more evenings playing electrician and carpenter, it will be ready for the IT portion of the assembly o_O.
One thing that has really impressed me about the new V2 fuse is the weight. With all the RC goodies packed in the weight of the fuse at this point is only 11 pounds. Looks as if the ready to fly weight is going to be 15 pounds :).
GOPR0432.JPG

GOPR0427.JPG
GOPR0428.JPG
GOPR0429.JPG
GOPR0431.JPG
GOPR0433.JPG

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Spent the last two days being a shop mechanic. Made a custom prop drive hub and steel prop washer. Now that all the mechanical is done, just a few more evenings playing electrician and carpenter, it will be ready for the IT portion of the assembly o_O.
One thing that has really impressed me about the new V2 fuse is the weight. With all the RC goodies packed in the weight of the fuse at this point is only 11 pounds. Looks as if the ready to fly weight is going to be 15 pounds :).
View attachment 108408

View attachment 108403 View attachment 108404 View attachment 108405 View attachment 108406 View attachment 108407
Looks like you are getting close to being done . Now if only the weather cooperates it will be in the air pretty soon.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Looks like you are getting close to being done . Now if only the weather cooperates it will be in the air pretty soon.

Yes just a few odds and ends to do but the "IT department" says they won't be able to get it air worthy until the end of March :do_not_know:.
But not to worry. I will be instructing the Alien Extras new owner for the next few trips out. So I guess I have a radio after all :confused:.