• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Too old to "HUCK"?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
When old people fly, I seek cover. Hehehe!! :)

I did not know you were local to our club? I went out quick before the trip to KY to trim the new servos in the Viper and before I even got a plane out of the truck there were three dead sticks, one dead on take-off, one trainer bounced on runway and flew perpendicular and over the pits. Then just as I got the Viper out of the truck, dude next to me lands his slimer glider in the pits about 6 feet from my plane.

Luckily as soon as I fired up nobody flew so I did my thing and took off.

One day you will be the one they are ducking for cover from :)

I've thought about this before......wondering if we all will see that day. The thing I notice most is that the local club guy's are flying exactly like they did 8 years ago when I started flying and went there for the first time! I remember getting a little worried that all this crashing and mechanical issues was just part of the hobby!

Did you ever get a chance to see Miles Reed fly? Miles was a regular attendee at most of the larger east coast IMAA/Big Bird fly-ins. Well into his 80's his signature take-off was a 1/2 left roll followed by a full right snap to inverted at about 2 feet from the ground. His Weeks Solutions (Weeks Solution X, Challenger II) were always amazing to watch. Miles was a super nice guy, a great designer and a fantastic pilot. I remember watching with envy as he would fly with his Weeks with D&B twins.

Fly safe and know your limitations, but pushing those limits is what makes you better and keeps you sharp.

Did you ever get a chance to see Miles Reed fly? Miles was a regular attendee at most of the larger east coast IMAA/Big Bird fly-ins. Well into his 80's his signature take-off was a 1/2 left roll followed by a full right snap to inverted at about 2 feet from the ground. His Weeks Solutions (Weeks Solution X, Challenger II) were always amazing to watch. Miles was a super nice guy, a great designer and a fantastic pilot. I remember watching with envy as he would fly with his Weeks with D&B twins.

Fly safe and know your limitations, but pushing those limits is what makes you better and keeps you sharp.

Oh yeah. Seen Miles fly for many years. I remember the District 3 IMAA mini fest one year. Someone had a gurnie wheeled out when Miles went to fly.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I did not know you were local to our club? I went out quick before the trip to KY to trim the new servos in the Viper and before I even got a plane out of the truck there were three dead sticks, one dead on take-off, one trainer bounced on runway and flew perpendicular and over the pits. Then just as I got the Viper out of the truck, dude next to me lands his slimer glider in the pits about 6 feet from my plane.

Luckily as soon as I fired up nobody flew so I did my thing and took off.

I've thought about this before......wondering if we all will see that day. The thing I notice most is that the local club guy's are flying exactly like they did 8 years ago when I started flying and went there for the first time! I remember getting a little worried that all this crashing and mechanical issues was just part of the hobby!
One of the guys at the field asked me once why I never use the Geotex runway when I fly. I told him because it's always littered with crashed electrics.;)

pawnshopmike

Staff member
One of the guys at the field asked me once why I never use the Geotex runway when I fly. I told him because it's always littered with crashed electrics.;)
If my memory serves me right, I think you guys had at least one hole in the runway on the very first day from prop strikes.:p

-Rick-

100cc
I stayed out of this thread cause I was so peed off bout someone actually saying "He to old to be flying like that". I think I would be giving him a good swift kick in the berry's and said you are to old to be using those!!

Tuesday night I had a 71 year old gent out with his kadet, first time out to our club. He basically solo'ed his 2nd flight! He flew after I took off and gave it to him, he had a good 8 minute flight and when I told him it was time to land he did a nice turn IN towards the field and greased the plane in. I had a sore finger from holding the trainer button!! 3rd flight was the same!!

Guess if I was thinking the way the idiot that said "to old" I should have told him, no way, I'm not helping you, you are to old!!

Last edited:

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Rob,

Great thread. I'm glad you didn't let that individual bother you with his lame comment. I'm with everybody else here, if you're enjoying what you're doing, keep doing it. Hell, I don't know how to fly 3D and I just turned 53, but I STILL want to learn to do what allot of you are making look so easy (even though I know it's not).

I think I hear your "Baby" calling you because she wants to go fly. . . . . . . :yesss: