• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Twisted Hobbys Crack Laser, with a few new build tips

AKfreak

150cc
Happy to report that my first flight(s) were all successful. Had a little hiccup with the landing gear tying up with aileron servo. After a successful, albeit somewhat hard landing, the gear arm pushed up into the servo arm. I just picked up the plane as l couldn't taxi it and throttled up.
Well. She went up, over and right before nosing into some tall grass l pulled off throttle(thanks for the heads up).
Picked her up, discovered the problem, lil bit of 28 gauge picture wire and some glue and we were back in the air.
Flew thru 4 batteries( 2-450's and 2-800's, both 2S.)
The guy there with my Dad and l said he's been flying RC for over 20 years and i was full of **** saying this was my first flight. Lol. In a very complimenting way.
Thanks for all the tips guys.

Great job. How was the battery placement?

With the 450's it seemed too far back, plane kept climbing on me. So with the 800's l was moving it much further forward. Essentially right on top of the Aileron servo. That combined with the trimmed forward from trying to keep it nose level and it was perfect. Somewhat windy/gusty which made it harder to trim with any decisive results. Kept wanting to roll to the right too. Trimmed that out and everything seemed gravy. Of course l got it right when my last battery died. Lol.

alawson999

70cc twin V2
CG and trim fine tuning usually take me a dozen or more flights - just tuning it all in just right. Sounds like you may be on a similar path - no worries - just take your time and make it perfect for you

Quick update. I've crashed the crap out of my laser now. 4-5 times. I've had all the control surfaces down to 55-60% for learning.
I tried upping them all to 85% and wow!! Sooo much easier to fly on higher rates. Plus added in a little expo. Seemed to help as well.
Over an hour of flying and only one mishap with that setup. That was an identity mixup. Another Laser and I crossed paths. I lost which one was mine. LOL.

alawson999

70cc twin V2
Sounds like you are on the right path - 4-5 crashes and you are still flying and having fun - it doesn't get much better than that.

you mentioned "a little expo" - just for reference I fly mine with 70% - more expo is usually (though not always) a good thing - with the big control throws, you will need it.

I also have a couple of reduced throw settings , with a bit less expo, set up for specific things - for example, I find slow rolls and 4 point rolls to be much more controllable at lower travel settings. Still - 98% of the time, flying at full throws and 70% expo.

As for flying the wrong airplane - can't help much there

;-)

As for flying the wrong airplane - can't help much there

;-)

Yeah. It's an older guy that has been in RC for decades. We crossed while someone was doing a low pass,

staring into the cloudy sun. I blinked. Pulled up and nothing happened to the plane I was watching. Then a lil panic and at

the last second realized I was looking at the wrong plane. I was headed straight at the ground inverted. So I nosed up and

powered off just in time to sorta skid to a stop. Lil grass, lil mud, no damage. Proud of the save but felt like a dork for mixing

planes in the air.

Netflyer

New to GSN!
I'm in the middle of the build and I have noticed that the pushrod guides and the control horns are now plastic (I'm guessing ABS) and there is a fiberglass motor mount included now. I understand these are upgrades. My question is, I purchased the carbon fiber upgrade kit. Does anyone know if the carbon fiber is a 'better' upgrade than the now included plastic parts?? I'm not sure which to use? There is a very heavyduty (stiff) fiberglass motor mount now included, should I use that instead of the carbon fiber one that seems flimsier but possibly stronger still? Or do I laminate the carbon mount ON the fiberglass one and use them both?

Thanks for any help!!

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I have about twenty flights on mine now. Great flying plane. It does ok in light breezes.