• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Twisted Hobbys Crack Laser, with a few new build tips

Buick Mackane

70cc twin V2
It is an awesome airplane! Ive had mine since May. It is the best plane to have when you don't have a lot of time and need a quick flight fix.

Netflyer

New to GSN!
I couldn't agree more. I was always used to flying Futaba with larger planes and the most I'd ever used was 15%, just to take the 'nervousness' out of my sticks. I guess I got used to very slight movements to achieve the effects I wanted. Now, using the recommended 60% or so on high rates means I have to move the stick WAY more than I'm used to. So, now after about 35 or so flights I'm down to about 40% on my Spectrum Dx7s. 40 seems right for the way I fly, it means I can roll to knife slow or fast and not go too far with not too much stick movement. I may even dial it back to 30% next time out.

I suppose the drill is to set up two rates, identical throws and just vary the expos to see which is best...

Netflyer

New to GSN!
After 50+ flights now and only one bend prop. (case of too lowness) I have to say that this is one amazing aircraft.
My favorite new thing to do is knife edge loop figure eights which are just too easy to accomplish. Most other planes want to come out of the knife on the downside of the knife loop, this puppy just stays in knife and does whatcha want... I mean, you could write your name in knife edge, no problem. Now that is a well balanced aircraft!
I ended up cutting a slot for the battery just aft of the aileron servo. I thread the battery through with the balancer underneath and it firms it in. The plane is slightly tail heavy this way but I find no loss of control, no wobbly rifles, and no tip stalling with this CG so I'm good with it. If I hand launch horizontal it holds true to slighly climbs and slighly climbs while inverted depending on power in both situations of course.
I will say that I did bend the landing gear just falling the distance from a tailstand to horizontal. That is to say if you stood this model on it's tail and let go, the impact from THAT fall can break the gear right where they go through the fuse. So, what I did was reinforce that point with another small piece of carbon rod through that area and then used thread to wrap stuff up on both sides, CA'd it and now if it breaks it surely will not be there. The obviously answer is not to land flat down on these gear but that can't always be accomplished :)
It's okay because I had to snatch the plane from a hover all day when the gear folded and that really helped with my confidence and this vehicle :) Great plane, quickly becoming my all time fav...

AKfreak

150cc
I am almost done with the Flash NG, it has some Huge shoes to fill to become my Favorite TH plane. For the the Crack Laser is in my opinion the top of the food chain. It flys exactly how I want all my planes to fly. To me the Lazer is the reference for which all others should be measured. I own or have owned the Extra Slick, MSX-C, The inferno, Crack Yak have flown the Mini Pitts, the Crack beaver, the 39" Crack Yak as well as many other EPP planes. The only other foam model that can compete with my Crack Laser is a full blown competition milled depron model that I have almost $600 bucks in.

I love the Crack Laser so much that I ordered another one as a backup just in case they ever stop making it. I hope to convince Brad to come out with a full thickness version of the Crack Laser. I want to fly a Crack Laser on 3S some day.

alawson999

70cc twin V2
I am almost done with the Flash NG, it has some Huge shoes to fill to become my Favorite TH plane. For the the Crack Laser is in my opinion the top of the food chain. It flys exactly how I want all my planes to fly. To me the Lazer is the reference for which all others should be measured. I own or have owned the Extra Slick, MSX-C, The inferno, Crack Yak have flown the Mini Pitts, the Crack beaver, the 39" Crack Yak as well as many other EPP planes. The only other foam model that can compete with my Crack Laser is a full blown competition milled depron model that I have almost $600 bucks in.

I love the Crack Laser so much that I ordered another one as a backup just in case they ever stop making it. I hope to convince Brad to come out with a full thickness version of the Crack Laser. I want to fly a Crack Laser on 3S some day.

Laser not being available in the future?

Yikes - that never occurred to me.

My RC hoarding instincts may run wild now...

alawson999

70cc twin V2
@ Netflyer

Feeling inspired by your comment

" Most other planes want to come out of the knife on the downside of the knife loop, this puppy just stays in knife and does whatcha want... I mean, you could write your name in knife edge, no problem. Now that is a well balanced aircraft!"

I think I have gotten myself into some difficulty.

Maybe you smart guys on this forum can help me....

Flying my Laser lite at the parkflyer field a few days ago - beautiful day - just hint of breeze - and I was doing knife edge horizontal 8s with a knife edge loop in the middle as a direction change.

My flying colleagues say "Now he is just showin off"

To which I inappropriately replied " yes I am, what is your point?"

As discussions go, I divulged that I was told that this airplane could "write your name in knife edge"
Then I got the challenge to prove it, by writing their pet name for me - using my Laser in Knife edge.

I thought I had this nailed - practicing each letter, from easiest to hardest

The O was a beautiful knife edge loop - no problem.

The N was a little tricky - especially that 120 degree turn at the bottom

I had seen a figure M in a magazine, and tried to do it - but kept getting rudder inputs mixed on the second peak - practice will sort this out, no doubt

But the R - I just cannot figure out how to do an R to spell the full word MORON

My flying buddies are LTAO

Buick Mackane

70cc twin V2
your buddies need to give you a new name. anybody with skills like yours should be called Spike, or Killer, or Chopper, or Amadeus...definitely not moron. : )

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Haha... I have an idea for your "R"
Use elevator to reverse directions and finish it belly - in or make a 180* roll to point the canopy back out. Either way your friends will be impressed :)