• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Twisted Hobbys Crack Laser, with a few new build tips

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
@net flyer I'm sure you will be ok. I don't see a reason to want to laminate the two mounts together. Just pick one and use it. No point adding the weight of a second one. Just my opinion.

Netflyer

New to GSN!
@net flyer I'm sure you will be ok. I don't see a reason to want to laminate the two mounts together. Just pick one and use it. No point adding the weight of a second one. Just my opinion.

Thanks, would you opt. to use the ABS (white Plastic) control rod guides or the carbon ones? I can't imagine it would make that much of a difference though with guides...

AKfreak

150cc
I'm in the middle of the build and I have noticed that the pushrod guides and the control horns are now plastic (I'm guessing ABS) and there is a fiberglass motor mount included now. I understand these are upgrades. My question is, I purchased the carbon fiber upgrade kit. Does anyone know if the carbon fiber is a 'better' upgrade than the now included plastic parts?? I'm not sure which to use? There is a very heavyduty (stiff) fiberglass motor mount now included, should I use that instead of the carbon fiber one that seems flimsier but possibly stronger still? Or do I laminate the carbon mount ON the fiberglass one and use them both?

Thanks for any help!!

The stock stuff is great, the cf is better. I just flew 13 packs on mind today. It's a new record for me. The crack laser is by far my favorite TH foamie. I run a 2s setup with 350 mah packs

Netflyer

New to GSN!
The stock stuff is great, the cf is better. I just flew 13 packs on mind today. It's a new record for me. The crack laser is by far my favorite TH foamie. I run a 2s setup with 350 mah packs

I finished mine last night and maiden voyaged it today... With about 6 knots of gust in a pretty gentle 3-4 knot breeze it flew very well. I flew four packs out, the only four I have and I'm recharging now. I measured back 210mm from the front for CG and have the balance just a tad forward of it because if I move my 2s pack back any further back and it will be on the aileron servo (actually I have maybe 1/4" till I'm on that servo)... that said it seems to harrier and hover nice (even with a tad of windage). I followed the guide and set up the expo for 60 with my throws at 100% for 3d and I think I have to take out some expo... I dunno, 60 seems like SO much yet they recommend even more. I am going to dial them back.
I had to use a few clicks of uptrim to stop 'er from wanting to pitch down, do you think that means I'm too far forward on the CG? Visually the elevator is hardly noticeably up after the trim so I'm wondering if it is just a trim issue and not a CG one...

So far, in first session, tried and proved blenders, pop tops, rolling circles, rolling loops, hovers, harriers (although I need major work on inverted harriers I tried them a few mistakes high) and inverted flat spins, point and rifle rolls all super. I have the feeling I can learn a ton more with this one and only after the first few flights I can feel the potential :)

Last edited by a moderator:

alawson999

70cc twin V2
I find myself using more expo, not less - I don't think there is a downside for
"too much expo"

Your battery placement is identical to mine for the TH 360 mah 2s packs.

If you still feel it is a little nose heavy, put a more robust tail skid on it - a couple of grams on the tail goes a long way. (I kept grinding the carbon rod off, as I often fly on asphalt - even slow harrier landings, if you do enough of them, devour the CF)

Put 11 packs thru mine early this morning - still smiling even tho no at work.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
[MENTION=1100]alawson999[/MENTION] it is worth mentioning that you can have too much expo. There comes a point where you turn your control surface into a switch. On or off. The key is to find a range of expo that just feels right. It also depends on the radio. I have found that my hitec radio needs more expo than the spektrum do I used to have.

Netflyer

New to GSN!

AK, I'm wondering, based on the image I saw in a previous post, what motor are you running? Reason I ask, and maybe because I have the model '17', heh, my Outrunner maybe with my ESC and receiver up further.. I dunno, but if I put my 350 battery where yours is the CG would be very far back for my plane. I think I'll velcro it there and try it out but I'm wondering if this plane is just that forgiving when it comes to CG?
On my model I'm tail heavy if I put the battery right behind the Aileron servo but just bearly tail heavy :) Just curious cause heck if you can put an 800 in there and its not really tail heavy it must really be forgiving!

Great to hear people discovering this great plane. Running 2S 360mah, the front of my batt is on top side of the fuse about 3/4 inch behind the motor/firewall (battery goes longways). 9" prop. I like the expos around 50 in the tail and 40 or so in the ails.