• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Twisted Hobbys Crack Laser, with a few new build tips

Wow! Good luck! I hope you have a little flying experience at least. If not, I hope you have someone to belp you learn. Id hate to see your plane have a very short life! Either way I admire your initiative!

I've got probably 20+ hours on Real Flight 6.5. I know that's not the same thing but my
father has recently dove head over heels into RC flight(His first was a Crack Beaver) and he's
gonna be there with me to show me the ropes. I'll be taking it slow for a little while to figure things out.
Thanks for the encouragement. Hopefully I'll pick it up as quickly as I do everything else.
FWIW, he was really impressed with how quickly I learned the simulator.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Dont underestimate the great effects of sim time! After 20 hours you probably have a pretty good handle on orientation. That is the biggest hurdle by far. Im sure you are going to do just great :)

alawson999

70cc twin V2
Might want to put the CG a bit more toward the nose by 1/4 inch or so until you are fully comfortable.

You can always move it back later

Dont underestimate the great effects of sim time! After 20 hours you probably have a pretty good handle on orientation. That is the biggest hurdle by far. Im sure you are going to do just great :)

I've practiced pattern landings from both directions on several different types of aircraft for probably 3 of those hours. The rest was just fun stuff, like hanging from the prop, aileron rolls in both directions, knifes edge, etc. Where l still need practice is flying at myself from my right. For some reason that really messes with my orientation.
I've never actually controlled an RC plane but just watching some people live, it really seems like SIM is about 70-80% of real speed. Depth perception is FAR easier in person. I have flown my Dad's DGI Phantom with the goggle rig. That is REALLY cool!

3dNater

Is this to keep the planes climb in check a little bit? Or is it something to do with ease of control?
Having weight more toward the front adds stability and reduces the effectiveness of control somewhat. Having it too far back makes the tail want to go in front of the nose... inherently unstable and twitchy. You will want to find a balance point that is comfortable to you. They say a nose heavy plane flies poorly but a tail heavy plane flies once. Forward cg is better for learning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh. I see. Thank you again for the tips. I'll keep that in mind. Love getting on enthusiast forums. I have yet to see one as helpful as this one. Already really liking yous guys.

3dNater

Good orientation takes time to develop. Here are a few ideas to try out. Pretend you are in the plane and fly like you are in it. In other words... get your mind behind the plane regardless of attitude. A simple way to help is to shift your body to be going the same way as the plane. If it is coming toward you you will be looking over your shoulder but left is still left and right is right.

As you get better and start working into 3d flying you will have to simply memorize some things but there is no need to worry about that now.

I actually tried the putting yourself inside the plane theory and it works......when l remember to do it. Haha. If l'm focusing on tryin somethin new it's like my one track mind forgets to stay in the plane. I'm sure some actual experience will help.