• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Twisted Hobbys Crack Laser, with a few new build tips

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2
Are you using the digital servos?

That would only help on centering. But it is a Futaba 3114.

This was the perfect plane for me to practice rifle rollers. More like Cannon rollers with the Laser and I'm running cheapo servos.

It rolls clean, just not like I expected. Nothing like the CY. Maybe it was just way to windy. I'm not sure. I'm going to the hobby store Saturday to get the stuff to finish my green one. We will see.

will the blue wonder be a good combo for the crack yak.
My WMPF MX has way to much glue in it these days and I'm looking for another airframe.

cwojcik

70cc twin V2
The Blue Wonder will fly a Crack Yak but there are much better motors out there now. I prefer the Crack Series 26 gram on the Crack Yak.

The Laser rolls a little differently than the Crack Yak. It has a faster roll rate that is not as affected by throttle as much as the Crack Yak. With the Crack Yak, increasing the throttle will have a large effect on the roll rate, and increasing airspeed will have a smaller effect. With the Laser, increased throttle will slightly increase the roll rate, and increasing airspeed will greatly increase the roll rate. For me, this makes the plane more predictable even though it rolls faster.

The 3114 is a great servo but it could be your problem. The recommended Twisted servo has a good bit more torque. If you want to use a Futaba servo for the ailerons of this plane, use the 3156. Also make sure your hinges move freely (not too much welders reinforcement, right?).

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
The Blue Wonder will fly a Crack Yak but there are much better motors out there now. I prefer the Crack Series 26 gram on the Crack Yak.

The Laser rolls a little differently than the Crack Yak. It has a faster roll rate that is not as affected by throttle as much as the Crack Yak. With the Crack Yak, increasing the throttle will have a large effect on the roll rate, and increasing airspeed will have a smaller effect. With the Laser, increased throttle will slightly increase the roll rate, and increasing airspeed will greatly increase the roll rate. For me, this makes the plane more predictable even though it rolls faster.

The 3114 is a great servo but it could be your problem. The recommended Twisted servo has a good bit more torque. If you want to use a Futaba servo for the ailerons of this plane, use the 3156. Also make sure your hinges move freely (not too much welders reinforcement, right?).

Thanks Cody,
You clarified my servo point better than I did.
I haven't maddened my laser yet. My motor will run 8x4 and 9x4. I'll have to see which goes better. I think you said the Laser was good with the 9" prop.

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2

Have never even used welders glue. It has full deflection and there is nothing like blow back or anything. It had to be that it was just to windy. In a hover it was across my yard and the neighbors pretty quick. That servo is what I've always used on the Cracks. We'll see what it does inside. We lost our indoor flying site this year, so it might only see 10 flights this year inside! Bummer

alawson999

70cc twin V2
Finally had near perfect conditions this morning - Laser was in the commute vehicle, so I did a fly break on the way to work.

For some reason, I decided to set myself the challege of "how big and fat can I make a knife edge loop".

After lots of fun, I have come to the conclusion that visual acuity is the limiting factor.

Next time, Full reverse cuban 8s in knife edge...

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Ordered mine today. Should be here Friday. I'll be using this build guide as this will be my first EVER RC effort.

Wish me luck.
Wow! Good luck! I hope you have a little flying experience at least. If not, I hope you have someone to belp you learn. Id hate to see your plane have a very short life! Either way I admire your initiative!