• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Viper 120cc ARF is HERE!!!!!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
One thing I like to do while I'm hinging just so the glue can cure on it's own is to harden the "hard" points where the control horns will be.

To do this I cut the covering on ONE side of the control surface. Put a generous amount of thin CA into the hole and let it soak in and cure with no accelerator. Later we will cut the other side, clean out the hole with a drill bit and install the screws....... I'll cover that when i get there with more details on the hardware and a few options for the builder.
image002.jpg

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 329
fe572af6f684cae0cad64f87929a421f.jpg

I'm getting ready to drill the holes to mount the engine, DA-120. This is my first plane build and it seems as if the template is a little on the high side, does the picture look like it aligned right?

Thanks,

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
It will be high, that's how the edge is as well. The engine box is angled up but can't go too high with that. The level of the engine in relation to the wings and stabs plays a key roll so it's kinda how it works out. I know on the prototype the mark on the firewall was off a tad. What I plan to do when I mount my engine(s) is start where you are and drill one hole. Mount the engine and snug it down with just the one and dry fit the cowl. Since we had them completely re-do the cowl, better safe to check it out. Looks like my engine gets here on Tuesday so Tuesday night will be engine mounting day for me.

Wow, quick reply!

Thanks for the heads up! Was the mark a little high on the prototypes?

Thanks,

Jeff

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I have not mouted a DA in this plane yet as my prototype had a DLE120 and I made my own mounts. To verify the spacer needed just measure the space from firewall to front of cowl and subtract the engine depth. Add on your desired spinner spacing and you have your standoff amount.

Once I get mine mounted I will note what I ended up with but I usually like to buy the 1-1/4" SWB standoff kit because it comes with precision spacers that go out to about 1-1/2".

Looks great Jefflesh, just a reminder to use a larger fender washer on the inside of the firewall.

It was hard to pick between the green and yellow. There are no yellow planes at my field and I wanted to stand out[emoji106]