• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Viper-ST 100-120cc scratch build......it continues!

tylerzx9r

100cc
Getting really excited for this! Making me want to take a week off and just get this thing done from start to finish Terry!:yesss:

yakken

100cc
Is there a secrete to keeping the dowls on the front of the canopy hatch from wearing out and getting loose were it goes through the firewall?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Is there a secrete to keeping the dowls on the front of the canopy hatch from wearing out and getting loose were it goes through the firewall?

I don't use dowels in my designs, but if you have a plane that has them the best you can do is harden them with thin CA and let the glue cure slowly (no kicker. Then also harden the hole that it goes through. They will still wear, that's why I don't use them and I put two canopy bolts towards the front. instead.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I put some lightweight filler in any gaps and I like to also put some where all the tabs stick through just to make sure they are flush. Then I sanded with 100 and 180 on a block. Once everything was flush I decided to glass the hatch. I like to angle the front dash area a little and this also removes a little weight since it's sheeted foam. I put the canopy shell on and draw an outline of where I want it to taper. Then block it off with some 80 grit followed with some 180 to smooth. Glass with the hatch so it can be painted later without the paint eating the foam.

I glassed the hatch with resin thinned 50:50 with denatured alcohol. Cut the .5 oz cloth slightly over sized and with a dry brush, brush over it to lay it down flat. Start with a strip of resin down the middle and work out towards the sides. It should be smooth and look dry when done. If it is shiny you used too much. I had some thinned resin left so I painted my engine box area as well.

And just like I knew I would......I forgot to spray the canopy with hairspray before glassing. This will save a little material since the resin won't soak in as easily.

Attachments

• _DSC0748.JPG
    _DSC0748.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 286
  • _DSC0749.JPG
    _DSC0749.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 266
  • _DSC0750.JPG
    _DSC0750.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 269
  • _DSC0751.JPG
    _DSC0751.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 287
  • _DSC0752.JPG
    _DSC0752.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 269
  • _DSC0753.JPG
    _DSC0753.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 277
  • _DSC0754.JPG
    _DSC0754.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 280
  • _DSC0755.JPG
    _DSC0755.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 289
  • _DSC0756.JPG
    _DSC0756.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 266

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2
I still remember talking about the first scratch build. Was that 4 or 5 years ago now. Just do an awesome job. Wish I could build like you.

tylerzx9r

100cc
Looking Great! Do you, or Don't You make the canopy front edge a smooth transition to the hatch? If you do, how? I always thought you glassed over the front edge to make it seamless?:confused??:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I normally surface mount, then ease the edge during sanding. Flush mout is nice, lots more work and can crack over time so I normally don't do that. Also its my thought that unless the transission is flawless it looks worse than overlapped edge because it is painted with glossy car paint. Overlap also gives the option of covering the canopy and just painting the edges on the shell I glassing is not your cup of tea. Pros and cons both ways.

mndless

Don't know a thing..
Terry... really impressive work, hard to tell in the picture, where did the glass terminate at or around the angled dash ?

Enjoying following this!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Terry... really impressive work, hard to tell in the picture, where did the glass terminate at or around the angled dash ?
Enjoying following this!

Thanks for following. I started the glass at the bottom of the bevel and the rest of the foam I just pained with two coats of resin so I could paint it today.

At some point this weekend I'll prep and tint the canopy she'll so I can install that. I have a couple of ARF canopies to tint also so I will do them all in one shot.