• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Viper-ST 100-120cc scratch build......it continues!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Sorry cbarnes, no macro lens. I see on this pic it shows it pretty well on a place where the weave was a little skewed. This is after drywall compound and sanding twice.

Looking forward to your thoughts jetpainter since you are one of the many paint wizards that we have here on GSN

_DSC0761.JPG

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Terry and I have been discussing different techniques for glassing and prepping balsa parts for paint. I've started doing some test panels to see how the materials and techniques vary in weight and finish.

I made eight 4" x 6" balsa panels and covered them with 1.5 ounce glass cloth and Z-Poxy finishing resin. I would normally use .56 ounce cloth, but I didn't have any, and since this was a test mainly for the fillers and techniques the 1.5 ounce will work fine.

I sprayed four of the eight with hairspray to see if it would reduce the amount of resin that soaks into the wood. Unfortunately I screwed up the original weights of the bare balsa so I can't tell exactly how much difference it makes, but all of the hairspray test panels are a tad lighter with no ill effects to the resin.

I mixed the resin in the standard 1:1 ratio and applied it with a plastic spreader. After letting it cure overnight I sanded them lightly with 120 grit and then with 220. I put a second coat of resin on 4 of them. After letting those sit overnight I sanded and weighed them and I was quite surprised to see that the second coat added almost no weight and filled the weave extremely well.

Following Terry's lead I used drywall joint compound as a filler on 4 of the panels, 2 that had 1 coat of resin and 2 that had 2 coats. I'm very happy with how it works. It's easy to apply, sands easily, fills well, and it's light. At this point I'm really happy with the panel with 2 coats of resin and 1 coat of joint compound. After sanding that panel is very light and very smooth. It looks to me that it would take very little primer to get it ready to paint.

I'll do a work up of all the weights once I have all the panels ready to paint, but at this point the one with hairspray, 2 coats of resin and 1 of joint compound has only gained 2 grams since bare balsa and it's smooth as a baby's butt. And that's with 1.5 ounce cloth. With light cloth it should take less resin and be even lighter.

Pictures
1. Test panels after glassing.
2. Lower 4 have 2 coats of resin the top 4 have 1 sanded coat of resin with the far right one also having on coat of joint compound filler.
3. 4 panels with joint compound.
4. A closeup of a panel with unsanded joint compound.
5. Resin and joint compound used.
6. A side by side comparison of two panels, the left one with 1 sanded coat of resin and the right one with 2 sanded coats.
7. A side by side comparison of two panels, the left one with 2 coats of resin and 1 coat of joint compound and the right one with 1 coat of resin and 2 coats of joint compound.
8. A closeup of a panel with 1 of resin and 2 coats of joint compound.
9. A closeup of a panel with 2 coats of resin and 1 coat of joint compound.
20141205_220653_resized_1.jpg 20141207_144525_resized.jpg 20141207_171528_resized.jpg 20141207_171545_resized.jpg 20141207_201138_resized.jpg DSCF0368crop.jpg DSCF0371crop.jpg DSCF0373.JPG DSCF0377.JPG

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Awesome! Love the idea of the drywall as filler followed by resin! There is the binder! Like that much better than the way I was thinking. I'll be trying that on the cap build.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Terry, I didn't do any that way, but I can. As a matter of fact, I think I'll try a new one with some of the joint compound filling some dings in bare wood first to see how the resin reacts on top.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Terry, I didn't do any that way, but I can. As a matter of fact, I think I'll try a new one with some of the joint compound filling some dings in bare wood first to see how the resin reacts on top.

Sorry my mistake, I read quick and was thinking ahead on this "Following Terry's lead I used drywall joint compound as a filler on 4 of the panels, 2 that had 1 coat of resin and 2 that had 2 coats. I'm very happy with how it works." Now that I re-read it I see you used two coats of resin before the filler. What I found out when making my cowl plug is that drywall compound soaks up resin like a sponge but does not change shape, expand or change in the process unless you brush it excessively. Very cool tests......I'm a renewed excitement for painting an entire airplane! I may have to build another Viper now, dang it:mario-banana:

tylerzx9r

100cc
As you two are figuring this out, and doing very nice work! I am wondering..... After either technique, you use primer, then prep for paint?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
As you two are figuring this out, and doing very nice work! I am wondering..... After either technique, you use primer, then prep for paint?

Yes, the big idea is to fill the weave of the fabric. If you thought pinholes were a PITA try filling fabric weave!