• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

WE ALL NEED TO ACT TO SAVE THE HOBBY

Daytonarc

70cc twin V2
The AMA form letter is better than nothing but it is not even close to a personalized letter. They listen more when they know it is from a voter who cares enough to write rather than click a link.

Feel free to copy and to edit and to personalize post #1 in this thread. Form emails are not as efective.

The AMA form letter is better than nothing but it is not even close to a personalized letter. They listen more when they know it is from a voter who cares enough to write rather than click a link.

Feel free to copy and to edit and to personalize post #1 in this thread. Form emails are not as efective.

I agree and people need to make their voices heard. It's my view that offering a standardized letter from the AMA may not be a bad thing as writing one's opinion may be intimidating to some so it allows more voices to be heard than those that would be comfortable writing a personal letter. I did the AMA's letter but I'll probably submit another more personal one after I have some time to word it properly.

Daytonarc

70cc twin V2
The current version of the act that that passed the Senate has bad stuff. It requires all of our aircraft manufacturers to get certification from the FAA. It does allow above 400' with ambiguous allowances. It requires testing to fly "toy planes".

Now is your last time to act. The House and the Senate have each passed their own version of the FAA Re Authorization Act of 2016. They now have to meet in committee and reconcile the two versions. The House version was not too bad for RC flight but the Senate version has some bad provisions as mentioned above. Right your Senators and Legislatures or forever be silent.

Daytonarc

70cc twin V2
Senator Bill Nelson is one of the 2 Senators that sponsered the proposed bill. Evidently I am not the only one who has been an active advocate for "model aviation".

In his response below he acknowleges model aviation.

Keep the presure on both the House and the Senate. The more they here from us the more likely we will get relief!

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
He also does not realize that it is not the "Special Rule" section that will kill the hobby, it is the manufacturing requirements. I replied to, I assume the same email you got, and explained that although we would prefer to not have to take the test it is the manufacturing requirements that is deadly. And I once again invited him to the field for some hands on education of what we LOS are about. And "YES" I use the term LOS a lot, if done so by the powers that be from the beginning we would not be in this mess in my opinion.

Daytonarc

70cc twin V2
Trust me. they know there is a difference but without a whole lot of presure we will be "drones".

For some reason I can't copy and paste the Senetor's email on this website with my phone @Bartman

I will post the email tomorrow but let me tell you they do know the difference between "model aviation" and "drones". At this point they just don't care!

Daytonarc

70cc twin V2
Thank you for contacting me regarding the use of model aircraft. I understand your concerns about provisions related to model aircraft contained in H.R. 636, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Reauthorization Act of 2016.

This bipartisan bill, which I introduced with Senator Thune, passed the Senate on April 19, 2016, by a vote of 95 to 3. The bill enhances safety, protects consumers, invests in airport infrastructure, and promotes the safe integration of UAS (drones) into the national airspace.

The bill also continues several protections created by the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 [PL 112-95], which created a special rule to govern the use of model aircraft.

Airport operators are concerned about the possibility that consumer drones, many of which qualify under the special rule for model aircraft, would be allowed to fly in close proximity to active runways without the knowledge or consent of the airport operators or air traffic controllers.

The FAA reauthorization bill aims to strike a balance with model aircraft operating within five miles of an airport. The bill works to protect the safety of the airspace and the traveling public, while allowing safe model aircraft operations to continue, in proximity to airports when safe and appropriate.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns. I will keep your thoughts in mind as we await action in the House of Representatives.

Sincerely,

Senator Bill Nelson