• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

WE ALL NEED TO ACT TO SAVE THE HOBBY

This is what I got:

Dear Amendment 3596:

Thank you for your letter regarding the reauthorization of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this important matter.

I understand your concerns regarding our nation’s aviation system. Infrastructure is the backbone of a strong economy and a high quality of life. Our extensive transportation system reflects both the size of our great nation and the varied needs of the population it serves, and we must ensure that we have the resources necessary to keep Texas and the United States moving.

To this end, I supported the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2016 (H. R. 636), which passed the Senate with bipartisan support on April 19, 2016. This legislation reauthorizes and reforms agency programs over a multi-year period, requires the FAA to address major challenges to our aviation system, and advances important initiatives such as air traffic modernization and the safe and efficient integration of unmanned aerial systems into the national airspace system. H. R. 636 also includes provisions to increase aviation safety and training and strengthen security protocols at our nation’s airports. This legislation would these goals without raising taxes on the American people or the travelling public.

With Senate passage, H. R. 636 now awaits further action in the House of Representatives. As the 114th Congress continues to debate changes to FAA programs and federal aviation policies, you may be certain that I will keep working to ensure that the federal government lives up to its commitment to support a safe, efficient, and fiscally responsible aviation network.

I appreciate the opportunity to represent Texas in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN

United States Senator

Daytonarc

70cc twin V2
Simalar to what I got but after pressing the issue they actually recognized model aviation. The more presure they get the more likely they will actually think about things. My response to Senator Nelson in post 21 of this thread actually resulted in the response above that recognized "Model Aviation". I urge you to follow up and all of us to continue to press this issue. It isn't done yet and the more we voice our opinions the more likely it is that the exemptions for model aircraft will exist.

Below is my initial response to Sen. Nelson that led to his response recognizing model aviation. Please feel free to copy and edit as needed and send it today.
Dear Senator Nelson.

Thank you for your response to my concerns regarding the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) reauthorization. However I do not believe your response actually addressed the major concerns I have. The first of which is the establishment of a 400’ altitude limit for ALL UAS without the appropriate exception for model aircraft being flown within line of sight within the safety program of a Community Based Organization (CBO). Model aircraft have been flown for recreational hobby purposes for over 80 years. When done so within line of sight and under the safety guidelines of a CBO the safety record is impeccable. Limiting recreational flying that is done in a safe manner to a 400’ altitude will eliminate many safe types of model aircraft operation such as aerobatic flight, scale modeling contests, model jet flight and model glider operation. None of these types of UAS are a safety issue for the airspace and eliminating them with this legislation will destroy major segments of the model aircraft hobby resulting in economic harm to small companies and the loss of jobs.

Another onerous provision of the proposed legislation is the requirement that ALL UAS manufacturers get FAA approval for All UAS. There again needs to at least be an exception for model aircraft flown within line of sight under the safety guidelines of a CBO. Many model aircraft enthusiasts actually build their own models. Some come in the form of a kit from a manufacturer that the hobbyist builds and modifies to suite his preferences. Some model aircraft are built from a set of plans and some are scratch built from the design of the individual hobbyist. Almost ready to fly model aircraft are almost universally built and or sold by small family businesses. Requiring any type of FAA certification process for any of these types of model aircraft would be so costly and cumbersome that businesses will close, jobs will be lost and Model aviation for recreational purpose may cease to exist.

The advent of new technologies has caused a situation where some UAS are flown irresponsibly. Legislation to curtail unsafe operation of UAS and the commercial operation of UAS that could interfere with the safety of the airspace seems reasonable. But flying and building model aircraft flown within line of sight under the safety program of a CBO does not cause any unsafe conditions and to apply the language of the current version of the proposed Senate bill to these types of model aircraft would be detrimental to the safe enjoyment of a great family orientated hobby and would cause the needless economic harm to small companies resulting in lost jobs and companies closing.

There are currently 129 model aircraft flying clubs in Florida listed by the Academy of Model Aeronautics (A CBO). Florida is home to dozens of small family businesses that make a living building and selling model aircraft products designed for hobby purposes. There are hundreds of hobby shops in Florida that rely on model aircraft for a substantial part of their business. The current version of the Senate Bill, as written, will have a negative impact on all of these people and businesses without contributing to the safety of the airspace. The FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 Specifically recognized that model aircraft, flown for recreational purposes within the safety guidelines of a CBO posed no threat to the airspace and should be exempt from regulation. The current Senate bill does not include this exemption.

In the interest of hobbyists and small businesses across the State, I ask that you take this into consideration and sponsor an amendment to the Bill specifically exempting UAS that are flown within line of sight, under the safety guidelines of a CBO from the 400’ altitude restriction and the requirements of FAA certification of any type.

Sincerely,

Done. I made a few minor changes to some of the wording and of course took out the parts about Florida since I'm in Texas.

Dear Senator Cornyn,

Thank you for your response to my concerns regarding the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) reauthorization. However I do not believe your response actually addressed the major concerns I have. The first of which is the establishment of a 400’ altitude limit for ALL UAS without the appropriate exception for model aircraft being flown within line of sight within the safety program of a Community Based Organization (CBO). Model aircraft have been flown for recreational hobby purposes for over 80 years. When done so within line of sight and under the safety guidelines of a CBO the safety record is impeccable. Limiting recreational flying that is done in a safe manner to a 400’ altitude will eliminate many safe types of model aircraft operation such as precision aerobatic flight competitions, scale modeling contests, model jet flight and model glider operation. None of these types of UAS are a safety issue for the airspace and eliminating them with this legislation will destroy major segments of the model aircraft hobby resulting in economic harm to small companies and the loss of jobs.

Another onerous provision of the proposed legislation is the requirement that ALL UAS manufacturers get FAA approval for All UAS. There again needs to at least be an exception for model aircraft flown within line of sight under the safety guidelines of a CBO. Many model aircraft enthusiasts actually build their own models. Some come in the form of a kit from a manufacturer that the hobbyist builds and modifies to suite his preferences. Some model aircraft are built from a set of plans and some are scratch built from the design of the individual hobbyist. Almost ready to fly model aircraft are almost universally built and or sold by small family businesses. Requiring any type of FAA certification process for any of these types of model aircraft would be so costly and cumbersome that businesses will close, jobs will be lost and Model aviation for recreational purpose may cease to exist.

The advent of new technologies has caused a situation where some UAS are flown irresponsibly. Legislation to curtail unsafe operation of UAS and the commercial operation of UAS that could interfere with the safety of the airspace seems reasonable. But flying and building model aircraft flown within line of sight under the safety program of a CBO does not cause any unsafe conditions and to apply the language of the current version of the proposed Senate bill to these types of model aircraft would be detrimental to the safe enjoyment of a great family orientated hobby and would cause the needless economic harm to small companies resulting in lost jobs and companies closing.

In the interest of hobbyists and small businesses across the State, I ask that you take this into consideration and sponsor an amendment to the Bill specifically exempting UAS that are flown within line of sight, under the safety guidelines of a CBO from the 400’ altitude restriction and the requirements of FAA certification of any type.