• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Yippee! What the postman brought

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I did pull the trigger on the MZ32.In my mind? It is one "SICK" radio. Manny also told me, (because I asked) there will be a firmware upgrade coming later this year for the radio to enable a photo of your model being loaded to the radio and then displayed when selected from the menu. It is in the radio now, but not functional until the firmware upgrade. How cool would that be?
In the second to last photo you will see a circle with a question mark in it. So here is what it does. The manual is very-"VERY" thin. Why? Because you push the question mark on the front screen and a complete list of instructions guides...."WALKS" you through your complete setup for each function. Ok, this is total bad ass if you ask me.

I knew it. Honestly Graupner had a couple growing pains when they started HOTT if I'm not mistaken. With that in the past, and I am also blown away by the features this radio has at the price it is being put on the market for. Very smart move for Graupner IMO.
LOVE the "?" feature!!! WOW. firmware update for a picture! WAY cool.
So let me get this right... its the same cost as my 18SZ, but has more features, AND more user friendly! I have to update my radio to a $3k 18MZ to get a picture.... not a smart move Futaba IMO. I don't like seeing a radio mfgr that limits features of a radio that looks the same and lowers the price... just why?
Looking forward to seeing your pros and cons to this radio. Kinda makes my radio feel like a red headed step child than a HOTT MZ32 beauty like you got there. I love my Futaba gear, but been feeling a disconnect lately.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I knew it. Honestly Graupner had a couple growing pains when they started HOTT if I'm not mistaken. With that in the past, and I am also blown away by the features this radio has at the price it is being put on the market for. Very smart move for Graupner IMO.
LOVE the "?" feature!!! WOW. firmware update for a picture! WAY cool.
So let me get this right... its the same cost as my 18SZ, but has more features, AND more user friendly! I have to update my radio to a $3k 18MZ to get a picture.... not a smart move Futaba IMO. I don't like seeing a radio mfgr that limits features of a radio that looks the same and lowers the price... just why?
Looking forward to seeing your pros and cons to this radio. Kinda makes my radio feel like a red headed step child than a HOTT MZ32 beauty like you got there. I love my Futaba gear, but been feeling a disconnect lately.
I really understand your feelings here. Going back a number of years, I was so Futaba it wasn't funny. Dang they had some good radios. Then Hitec stepped up their game with the 2.4 module for my Futaba 8auf.
futaba 8.png

Man, did we think we were cool then! Of course adding the Hitec 2.4 module made us even more cool. Ah but then Hitec upped their game with the Aurora 9. What a nice radio. My son still has his original from way back then. Works perfectly. Just limited on channels and capabilities. I probably would have stayed with Futaba, but I just could not justify the price. I mean seriously. To have the capabilities of the A9 and A9x (The latest Hitec Aurora 9) It would have cost more than double the price. I too of late have been feeling kind of left out in the cold. (Red headed step child syndrome... NOT to be confused with ah, certain red heads? LOL) When I purchased the MZ 24 a couple of years back, I just could not acclimate to it. I really can't say why. And honestly, the MZ 32 is very "VERY" nearly the same case in design. But now it feels so much better. I think too, I was looking for a reason to bash the radio. I have to admit and I am very shameful of this. I hate to say I was wearing egg on my face. I think I was becoming a "Fan Boy". Ugh!

Ok, that being said I will do my best to keep you all posted as to my opinions of the new MZ 32. Of course my son @Shayne Epley is ordering his MZ 32 today. We have this thing...The father becomes the son, the son becomes the father. We share what we know and have learned and I feel in part it has been the reason we have been succesful with the things we do. Oh but we still have our setbacks like everyone. I will say right now, that while typing this I am looking at the new MZ 32 right her next to me. Charging with the USB cord into the side of my laptop. First "knock". I don't like having to rely on my computer to be on to charge my radio. However, I probably can still take the battery out of the back and charge it like I did my A9x. I just need to find out if the two leads coming from the 9000 mah battery are wired in parallel or ? I don't want to charge one and have it not be right. And vicey versy. So, if I can pull the battery from the radio to charge it, then it is a moot point. No plus, no deficit. As that is what I have been used to doing.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Sweet. Will be nice to get a look at a radio you don't hear a lot about. Good get there Rob. Now back to my Kraft series 77.
I had one of those ya know? LOL.
Don't know if it was the same series, but here it is.
Kraft 2.jpg

Very nice. I will admit I was hoping you where gonna to the cheap route like I did with some form of the Taranis and using OpenTX but I still think you made an excellent choice. From most of what I have read it will do pretty much anything the open source hardware in the taranis will do but is a little more intuitive in how you set it up.
Thanks... From what I am seeing so far, there just isn't anything it "won't" do. But time will find out. I would hate to think I could have achieved the same results with a 100 dollar transmitter. Ugh.
Suicide.gif

I don't like the way it looks at me.:lol2:

It does kind of look like a pair of eyes.
A little paranoid there Doug? Heh heh… Yeah it does look kind of spooky in a way. Maybe changing the color of the face would make a difference. Then again, I do need someone watching me these days. Might as well be the radio. LOL

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Can you tell us a bit about the "hardware" in the radio too like gimbals? They all aluminum? Have hall sensors? How many brgs?
And how about signal strength? Wonder if that other "power lead" powers the amplifier and radio electronics whilst the other powers the cpu?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Can you tell us a bit about the "hardware" in the radio too like gimbals? They all aluminum? Have hall sensors? How many brgs?
And how about signal strength? Wonder if that other "power lead" powers the amplifier and radio electronics whilst the other powers the cpu?
Well, I don't know much about it yet. But I am sure my learning curve is going to expand exponentially in the real near future. First, hardware wise it seems so sweet. The gimbals are in fact all aluminum and quad bearing with hall sensors. From an aspect ratio compared to my what I feel rather smooth Hitec A9x, they are like hot butta baby. Smooooooth as you's babies satin nighty. I am sure the signal strength is just as good or better than the MZ 24 was. If I read it right and I would have to find it again, it is supposed to have the longest range reflected frequency signal the fcc would allow. Don't quote me, I will try to find that info.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
The radio wizards are watching so HiTech has a release just around the corner to "blow away" the competition I bet LOL
So you remember Paul Harvey right? Well, here is the rest of the story. Fact is, Hitec actually was in the process of releasing an all new Aurora 16. Yes, 16 to upscale the 9x. I can now at no risk of letting out any secrets relay what I learned nearly two years ago. A certain individual swore me to secrecy on the project as Hitec just did not want the info released. I can see why now. In fact, this person "HAD" the prototype in his hot little hands. According to Manny at Graupner USA, he too was a long time Hitec fanatic. But he saw the proverbial writing on the walls much sooner than I. He also knew of this secret venture by Hitec. But much to my (and other devote Hitec end users) dismay, Hitec chose not to proceed with the R&D. So much the better. Apparently their venture for the future was not land based rc radios. So, if they were to announce today that they have changed their position on a new radio? Too little.... "WAY" too late. At least for me.