• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Yippee! What the postman brought

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks Buddy,

At this point, 2 months or 6 months doesn't make too much difference to me either way. It's going to be next spring before I can fly the plane anyway. I like the Hyde mounts too. I already had one for my new AJ so I really didn't need them, but the price was right if you know what I mean. . . . :epic:. The same man sold me a complete NIB Hatori header & canister exhaust system for a YS170 Dingo as well. At the risk of being shamed off GSN for using a glow engine, that's exactly what I am going to put in the AJ. . . . . ;). The engine is going to be smooth, quiet and in a plane that will weigh +/- 13 pounds, it will just about pull the wing off the plane. . . . . :yesss:. Plus, with the help of the CDI ignition I have coming from Adrian at CH Ignitions, it should be fairly fuel efficient as well. It's a win win situation for me, especially since I already have the engine. . . . .:fist_pump:.

I still have a number of YS engines and fly them regularly. Any thing around 20cc or less I still fly glow and love it especially my YS four strokes no muffler to worry about and a lot more power than any of the 20cc gas engines I have.
Can explain a little more about the CDI you added to the YS.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I still have a number of YS engines and fly them regularly. Any thing around 20cc or less I still fly glow and love it especially my YS four strokes no muffler to worry about and a lot more power than any of the 20cc gas engines I have.
Hey @Snoopy1 ,
My ignition from Adrian at CH Ignitions arrived today. . . . . :dancing-chicken:. The CDI module is an electronic ignition module, similar to those used for gas engines.

20181026_115649_resized.jpg

The CDI will allow the engine to run smoother, have a better idle, it will allow me to use lower nitro content fuel and it will cut fuel consumption almost in half while delivering better performance. There will be no hassle with a glow driver or electric starter for the engine. Even with the extra battery, the weight penalty will be minimal. To be honest, this is my first try with them, but I have done a bit of research and a good friend of mine has taught me allot about them. His father put CDI on his Saito 450 radial in a Corsair and the difference was astonishing. I have to admit, when I got the package, I was quite surprised how small the module is.

Well, this is the next to last piece of the puzzle I need. All I need now is for two months to go by so I can get the plane. . . . . :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1

Anything 10cc and it should be a YS 60. Awesome engine.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Hey @Snoopy1 ,
My ignition from Adrian at CH Ignitions arrived today. . . . . :dancing-chicken:. The CDI module is an electronic ignition module, similar to those used for gas engines.

View attachment 106457

The CDI will allow the engine to run smoother, have a better idle, it will allow me to use lower nitro content fuel and it will cut fuel consumption almost in half while delivering better performance. There will be no hassle with a glow driver or electric starter for the engine. Even with the extra battery, the weight penalty will be minimal. To be honest, this is my first try with them, but I have done a bit of research and a good friend of mine has taught me allot about them. His father put CDI on his Saito 450 radial in a Corsair and the difference was astonishing. I have to admit, when I got the package, I was quite surprised how small the module is.

Well, this is the next to last piece of the puzzle I need. All I need now is for two months to go by so I can get the plane. . . . . :rolleyes:.
That sounds interesting, please keep me informed. Sounds like something I should invest in. Do you now use a special spark plug and cap.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
That sounds interesting, please keep me informed. Sounds like something I should invest in. Do you now use a special spark plug and cap.
I sure will @Snoopy1 but it will likely be after the plane arrives & maybe as late as next spring when the weather warms up again. I will start a new thread when the plane comes and I will report my findings there so I don't take this thread too far off topic. To answer your question, yes, the engine uses a small spark plug & cap. They are in the bottom bag in my picture above. If I remember correctly, the plug is called a 1/4-32 plug. I have packed the module away in the box with the engine, exhaust system and the rest of the stuff for my AJ. If you'd like, I will pull the box out and check it for you.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I sure will @Snoopy1 but it will likely be after the plane arrives & maybe as late as next spring when the weather warms up again. I will start a new thread when the plane comes and I will report my findings there so I don't take this thread too far off topic. To answer your question, yes, the engine uses a small spark plug & cap. They are in the bottom bag in my picture above. If I remember correctly, the plug is called a 1/4-32 plug. I have packed the module away in the box with the engine, exhaust system and the rest of the stuff for my AJ. If you'd like, I will pull the box out and check it for you.
No don’t pull it all out when you do your build there will be plenty of time to get in some of the finer details. My flying season is basically over as well and looking for project this winter. Might get a few flights in if we get a nice day.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So the postman has been really good to me the last few days. I had been wanting to watch something different while getting some projects done so...I ordered a blu ray disc of "Conan the Barbarian" and "Conan the Destroyer". Oh man, that brought back some memories. LOL. I also received the new tank for Marie along with the fuel dot.

20181024_180501.jpg

Oh yeah, I also got the new spinner for Marie. I really don't like it due to the cut outs for the prop. But it is the only one I could find on such short notice. I guess it will have to do until I can locate a more appropriate spinner.

20181024_180138.jpg

Of course we all know I went back to a new DLE 61 on the Baby Yak-ster. Three flights in and she is running great. Guess I will just keep her that way. But of course I had the opportunity to pick up a very-very lightly used, (about a gallon and a half) RCGF 70cc twin. I had planned to use this on the Yak, but just didn't perform as well as I had wanted it to. So now what the heck am I going to do with this?

20181024_175937.jpg

I also got a new prop for the little Blue Nose. Oh yeah, just call me "el-Cheapo". LOL. I think this prop was like 11 bucks shipped. But hey, she turns on the 20cc Mustang really well. That is all that matters right?

20181024_180508.jpg

So you all remember I was looking for a Saito FG14 for the trainer? Well, I didn't find one and I am not about to spend the money for a brand new one. Especially with the Kolm 150 purchase. But what I did do... and you all are going to laugh, I ran across two deals I just couldn't pass up. First one was a brand new...one bench run, O.S. Max 70 Surpass. Yikes...its a glow motor. But the price was right. 150 to my door.

20181024_180211.jpg

It just so happened at the same time I ran across an even better deal I just couldn't pass up. Can we all say Saito grunt? For a brand new never out of the box Saito 80 for 160 to my door? How could I say no?

20181024_180319.jpg

I have not decided yet which of the two glow, (shudder) motors will go on the trainer. But one will of course. I love the Saito power and it runs so well. I have had many of the Saitos. Not really economical compared to an O.S., But well worth it for the grunt. Yes I know. I am slipping over to the dark side again. But..."ONLY" for the trainer. That is it. LOL

So my spending frenzy has ended until the Kolm and the Retracts for the DS Stang are here. Yikes!!

pawnshopmike

Staff member
So the postman has been really good to me the last few days. I had been wanting to watch something different while getting some projects done so...I ordered a blu ray disc of "Conan the Barbarian" and "Conan the Destroyer". Oh man, that brought back some memories. LOL. I also received the new tank for Marie along with the fuel dot.

View attachment 106495

Oh yeah, I also got the new spinner for Marie. I really don't like it due to the cut outs for the prop. But it is the only one I could find on such short notice. I guess it will have to do until I can locate a more appropriate spinner.

View attachment 106506

Of course we all know I went back to a new DLE 61 on the Baby Yak-ster. Three flights in and she is running great. Guess I will just keep her that way. But of course I had the opportunity to pick up a very-very lightly used, (about a gallon and a half) RCGF 70cc twin. I had planned to use this on the Yak, but just didn't perform as well as I had wanted it to. So now what the heck am I going to do with this?

View attachment 106496

I also got a new prop for the little Blue Nose. Oh yeah, just call me "el-Cheapo". LOL. I think this prop was like 11 bucks shipped. But hey, she turns on the 20cc Mustang really well. That is all that matters right?

View attachment 106497

So you all remember I was looking for a Saito FG14 for the trainer? Well, I didn't find one and I am not about to spend the money for a brand new one. Especially with the Kolm 150 purchase. But what I did do... and you all are going to laugh, I ran across two deals I just couldn't pass up. First one was a brand new...one bench run, O.S. Max 70 Surpass. Yikes...its a glow motor. But the price was right. 150 to my door.

View attachment 106501

It just so happened at the same time I ran across an even better deal I just couldn't pass up. Can we all say Saito grunt? For a brand new never out of the box Saito 80 for 160 to my door? How could I say no?

View attachment 106505

I have not decided yet which of the two glow, (shudder) motors will go on the trainer. But one will of course. I love the Saito power and it runs so well. I have had many of the Saitos. Not really economical compared to an O.S., But well worth it for the grunt. Yes I know. I am slipping over to the dark side again. But..."ONLY" for the trainer. That is it. LOL

So my spending frenzy has ended until the Kolm and the Retracts for the DS Stang are here. Yikes!!

Don’t tell that you of all people forgot about Red Sonja!!

AEA787F7-5C5A-4A42-9DE2-EFC58B667219.jpeg