• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Who would be interested in an entirely new type of competition?

Manta

70cc twin V2
Ah, flying season in New England is short so when the time is available I've been flying. Cody gets busy too so we haven't talked in a couple weeks. Hopefully as I set up my 78 and get things tweaked we'll be able to open up the conversation again. Just time man, "it keeps tickin tickin into the future"

But you gotta fly lime an eagle, to the sea

wedoitall

Ah, flying season in New England is short so when the time is available I've been flying. Cody gets busy too so we haven't talked in a couple weeks. Hopefully as I set up my 78 and get things tweaked we'll be able to open up the conversation again. Just time man, "it keeps tickin tickin into the future"

Sounds like you could use some help.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I think we're going to have some time to talk about it while setting up my 78 over the next couple weeks. Hope to report back soon. Keep the faith, this is still an "infant" in terms of development.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I think we're going to have some time to talk about it while setting up my 78 over the next couple weeks. Hope to report back soon. Keep the faith, this is still an "infant" in terms of development.

Well, I'd like to throw this out there. I'll be in NJ in July. Lets try and have some stuff hammered out so we can begin having the infant walk and talk by then.
I'd really like to see this take off, and to be a part of it.

dth7

I'll talk it up with Cody and see if we can at least get some preliminary stuff written down. Thanks for the support. I think he came up with a great idea too that ha a place in the hobby.

jmart95

70cc twin V2
This is an interesting concept, and would love to see this in action!

My 2 cents:
Beyond having the 4 basic skill classes, have 2 different airframe classes per skill class. IMO it would be unfair to judge a 42 slick vs a 104 slick in a 15 mph breeze. I'd think if you did(according to manufacturer specs) a class of 30cc/electric equivalent and larger and an under 30cc/electric equivalent. Comparing a 48 in. plane and a 60 in. there wouldn't be much difference in the airframe's limits/capabilities, and same would be for comparing a 50cc and 100cc plane. That'd give you more fair classifications, while still having enough contestants per class to get the competitive aspect of the event.

3dbandit

100cc
This is an interesting concept, and would love to see this in action!

My 2 cents:
Beyond having the 4 basic skill classes, have 2 different airframe classes per skill class. IMO it would be unfair to judge a 42 slick vs a 104 slick in a 15 mph breeze. I'd think if you did(according to manufacturer specs) a class of 30cc/electric equivalent and larger and an under 30cc/electric equivalent. Comparing a 48 in. plane and a 60 in. there wouldn't be much difference in the airframe's limits/capabilities, and same would be for comparing a 50cc and 100cc plane. That'd give you more fair classifications, while still having enough contestants per class to get the competitive aspect of the event.

IMHO.

Having 8 classes would cause for the classes to become to small and noncompetitive. You wouldnt have enough competitors at an event to have that many classes.

Perhaps a size cap of 78" wingspan like at the 3DRCF 38 would work to make it fair.

dth7

We're still on this guys. Cody has it in his head! Just slow with fly ins, fun flys and competitions. I'm fun flying this weekend and Cody's at an IMAC event. We'll be at the inaugural Plum Island IMAC together. Maybe we can make some progress between flying. Keep suggestions and thoughts coming. It all helps. Thanks.

dth7

The talk continues and is spreading a bit. Tyler and Stephen I think are up for it in some form too. Time is the enemy here.
Some of the challenges:
Clarifying maneuvers
Establishing a symbology
Length and type of "sequences"
Rules
Judging criteria
Airframe/ ability classes
To name a few.
I know it has taken a while but I think as we discuss the "holes" in the existing competitions we will be able to sort this all out.. As the season slows up here I will do my best to move along the process. I see a lot of "testing" with indoor foamies this winter.