• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Who would be interested in an entirely new type of competition?

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
There is some confusion here about freestyle vs. sequences. What I am proposing is a sequence competition, but instead of flying big, fast, non-stalled, pattern-style maneuvers, contestants would fly 3D maneuvers as well as possible. I think that a freestyle portion, with judging criteria and rules that encourage flights that are fun to watch, would also be a great addition but let's not get too sidetracked.
+1 What Cody said! Read- not IMAC freestyle. "not that there's anything wrong with that!" but not in this particular idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

dth7

I agree, that a sequence of required 3D moves is best way to go.

Just a for instance, still in works but-

Basic- reversals NOT scored in Basic, allowing entry level pilots to be challenged and have time to reposition without too much pressure. Basically pass oriented maneuvering in a 2:30-3:30 time to allow for two rounds. So, here's a sample:

Harrier>Hover>Harrier- repo
KE pass (High Alpha not required in basic but level KE)- repo
Blender to upright flat recovery> Harrier> Hover> end

*note: Reversals and repo not scored. That doesn't mean it can't be something interesting, just gives the pilot an opportunity to relax and set up for the next maneuver.

Not too intimidating, requires a skill set for basic 3D foundation maneuvers, trying to keep natural transitions and does not require a super high performance airframe to compete.

Judging criteria is still being developed but we are thinking of as many issues as we can. For instance- not all airframes can hold a hover without a torque roll, this would be acceptable in the Hover as long as the Hover is established for x amount of time.

As we play with sequence samples we will put together a maneuver catalog and judging/ flying criteria.

Shoot away but please remember that this competition is designed to encourage, teach, be challenging and of course fun. We also want it to be open to anyone who can show up. If a kid shows up with a foamie and wants to try then have at it kid, give it your best shot!

Naturally the Intermediate and Advanced classes will increase in difficulty and complexity.

Last edited by a moderator:

dth7

This sure sounds like a good start to me!
Thanks. I (we) just want it to be fun and give people a way to start learning to link maneuvers together. Everyone tries (me certainly included) to put together a nice routine to music. To do this successfully requires a solid understanding of the 3D foundation maneuvers, precision abilities, talent (++), creativity, orientation skills, and a bunch of time (not only the flying practice but music choice, editing, sequence building, maneuver matching, reworking, etc). Many of us are lucky to have a couple items on that long list! So this event can help pilots come away with at least having a purpose to their "hucking" and have the skills necessary to put together a nice routine that they will enjoy and so will others. Now I'm talking mostly about Basic and Intermediate class. You bet we will watch and learn from the Advanced folks and they will be challenged for sure.

3dbandit

100cc
This sounds like a cool idea.

I would most certainly be interested in competing in this kind of competition.

My only concern is will there be enough interest for this to grow? Outside of this forum, how many people would be interested or willing to compete in and travel to a NEW competition series?

dth7

Well, like other competitions it could start as regional events. They don't have to be big. We'll see what happens. It's really about another way to learn and advance in the discipline and hopefully attract (educate) those who oppose it or who exhibit prejudice against it (often knowing very little or anything about it). As I've said I see this as another option to do at fun flys too. You have your fun but often silly "accuracy" games to play. What's saying a club couldn't offer a small, short 3D competition for those interested as well. When we develop rules, criteria and a maneuver directory I'm pretty sure we'd have it available for everyone to be on the same playing field. After that, the clubs and regions could begin joining together for competition. You could have inter club team events. Just some more brainstorming.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Well, like other competitions it could start as regional events. They don't have to be big. We'll see what happens. It's really about another way to learn and advance in the discipline and hopefully attract (educate) those who oppose it or who exhibit prejudice against it (often knowing very little or anything about it). As I've said I see this as another option to do at fun flys too. You have your fun but often silly "accuracy" games to play. What's saying a club couldn't offer a small, short 3D competition for those interested as well. When we develop rules, criteria and a maneuver directory I'm pretty sure we'd have it available for everyone to be on the same playing field. After that, the clubs and regions could begin joining together for competition. You could have inter club team events. Just some more brainstorming.

Most of the time that people go to flun flys, they get pissed whent the field is closed for something else... and if this takes of like I think it will, there will be many contestants! I like the idea of some small regional / club events, maybe a saturday - sunday thing

I used to hate the fun flys to, but now I find them enjoyable. They are silly at times though and need to be well run. We used to be lucky and could fly on either side so we had a backup field to fly at. Only one local club is setup like that now at this point.