• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale World Models 1/3 Super Cub Project

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Hey @Bartman,
Watching your video makes me wonder how easy the decals are to put down. What were you using to press them down while you were pulling the bottom pieces of protective paper away.

@Decal Dennis
Those decals look AWESOME. Makes me want to get my Laser done so I can apply the ones you sent me. . . :yesss:

'
i redid the video so it runs slower and the plane is larger in the frame

i used my medical insurance card (credit card, bank card, etc, not sure what someone who knows what they're doing would use) to squeegee the graphics down. the material Dennis uses is perforated with a gazillion tiny micro holes so it's easy to get air bubbles out but when he laminates it to make it more colorfast and UV resistant, it seals it up again so you've got to be careful about bubbles. you can see I was pressing a small area down and then double checking alignment, then pressing, then checking. you can't really see me standing up and trying to stretch my aching back after each part was put in place!

Last edited:

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
Actually there are no holes in the vinyl at all, when the vinyl is manufactured they mold in very tiny micro air channels on the adhesive side. This allows air to escape as you are laying them down. If you run your fingernail across the backer paper after the decal is removed, you can feel and hear the micro channels. Applying a clear laminate doesn't affect the air release properties of the vinyl.

That vinyl is mainly use for car wraps, but in the past few years, a few companies started using it for airplane graphics. This makes it easier for the end user to apply them without the need for application fluid and basically eliminates the worries about getting bubbles in them.

Using application fluid to apply air release vinyl is a big NO NO.....it will trap some fluid under the vinyl and it will never stick

Last edited:

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
Hey @Bartman,
Watching your video makes me wonder how easy the decals are to put down. What were you using to press them down while you were pulling the bottom pieces of protective paper away.

@Decal Dennis
Those decals look AWESOME. Makes me want to get my Laser done so I can apply the ones you sent me. . . :yesss:

'

Like Bart said...credit card, driver's license or similar can be used to squeegee them down.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
any day now, was just fitting the cowl tonight trying to decide (before I cut open the bottom) if i want to do a set of custom mufflers or just use what i have. if I had ever taken the time to figure out how to tig weld aluminum with the welder I have then I'd have done it already but I'd need a local welder to put the parts together for me so I'm thinking I'll just try the mufflers i have and see how that goes.

definitely getting close though. going to be windy all week, maybe Tuesday is looking like the day now. I might have to just take it out and fly it myself which means, more than likely, no video unless I find a friend home with nothing to do.

hmmmm