• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale World Models 1/3 Super Cub Project

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Engine photos.

The firewall is a double layer of plywood and I reinforced mine with aluminum angle on both sides due to how I plan to use the airplane and because the plane was designed for a Zenoah GT-80 and I've got a BME-102 on it. Also, the firewall is built with zero right or down thrust so if you want to add any you'll have to shim your mount yourself.

There are two lines etched into the firewall which define the center of thrust but if you plan to use right or down thrust then you've got to offset your mount from those lines appropriately.

I haven't mounted the cowl yet, but will do so after the first couple of flights have been completed.

To make the maple/wood spacers behind the engine I bolted a few big fender washers to each hole of the engine's backplate and then used a router to follow the contour of the backing plate and washers, it worked pretty well but took a few tries to get the right router bit that wouldn't knock the ears off as I went around each time. Once I had the stack of spacers done and glued together I pegged the stack to a 4x4 and cut about 2 degrees of right thrust using my chop saw.

The hole in the center of the stack could have been bigger to make the spacer lighter but the BME-102 is already a lot lighter than the GT-80 so I figured a little extra weight wouldn't hurt.

Since there isn't an engine box hanging off the firewall, it's hard to say how a servo could be mounted without it being behind the firewall. THe fuel tank goes right behind the firewall so the only real option is to put the throttle servo back in the cabin which is what I did.

World Models supplies a 50 oz (1.5 liters) fuel tank which ought to be fine for the 102cc engine. The stopper design for the tank is a little funky but in the spirit of doing a complete review I've gone ahead and assembled/installed it! It'll get fuel for the first time later today so I'm hoping it works great! I'll post a few more later this afternoon.

Here are the pics;
View attachment 53244 View attachment 53245 View attachment 53246 View attachment 53247 View attachment 53248 View attachment 53249 View attachment 53250 View attachment 53251

Dang Bart. You fancy! That looks straight up sexy. Mikey like.:yesss:

Engine photos.

The firewall is a double layer of plywood and I reinforced mine with aluminum angle on both sides due to how I plan to use the airplane and because the plane was designed for a Zenoah GT-80 and I've got a BME-102 on it. Also, the firewall is built with zero right or down thrust so if you want to add any you'll have to shim your mount yourself.

There are two lines etched into the firewall which define the center of thrust but if you plan to use right or down thrust then you've got to offset your mount from those lines appropriately.

I haven't mounted the cowl yet, but will do so after the first couple of flights have been completed.

To make the maple/wood spacers behind the engine I bolted a few big fender washers to each hole of the engine's backplate and then used a router to follow the contour of the backing plate and washers, it worked pretty well but took a few tries to get the right router bit that wouldn't knock the ears off as I went around each time. Once I had the stack of spacers done and glued together I pegged the stack to a 4x4 and cut about 2 degrees of right thrust using my chop saw.

The hole in the center of the stack could have been bigger to make the spacer lighter but the BME-102 is already a lot lighter than the GT-80 so I figured a little extra weight wouldn't hurt.

Since there isn't an engine box hanging off the firewall, it's hard to say how a servo could be mounted without it being behind the firewall. THe fuel tank goes right behind the firewall so the only real option is to put the throttle servo back in the cabin which is what I did.

World Models supplies a 50 oz (1.5 liters) fuel tank which ought to be fine for the 102cc engine. The stopper design for the tank is a little funky but in the spirit of doing a complete review I've gone ahead and assembled/installed it! It'll get fuel for the first time later today so I'm hoping it works great! I'll post a few more later this afternoon.

Here are the pics;
View attachment 53244 View attachment 53245 View attachment 53246 View attachment 53247 View attachment 53248 View attachment 53249 View attachment 53250 View attachment 53251

Talk about craftmanship, your not too chabby yourself, that is awesome work you are doing

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
oh my God Roger I appreciate it but come.....on.....man!!! That Dalotel is freakin' art!

i'm ok when I have time which most of the time I don't, so i struggle through! thanks though!

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
The throttle linkage is all fixed and the engine is running great (amsoil, 40:1).

I just need to make a few videos to show the rest of the build and then put some swag on courtesy of www.KnifeEdgeGraphix.com and @Decal Dennis

Wait until you guys see the wing logo! Unbelievable!

And then there's the "project" that we've been hinting at :laughing:

Decals are fresh off the printer!!
Time to let them dry, then apply a clear laminate and contour cut them.

To date, these are the largest R/C airplane decals I have made. Part of the wing logo is 80" wide:oblong:

Been a fun project to work on:)

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
As a matter of fact I haven't, feel like flying it so I can shoot video? Where are you flying these days? Or you can come out by me?