• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

WrongWayRc 50-60cc GBR (GeeBeeRacer) Build thead

I also left the area open for the fuel tank mount... The plans do not show it... it is the choice of the builder (just like the tail wheel area) but I like my fuel tank near the CG. Mine are actually centered about 4 inches forward of the actual CG... which to me... is a great location with little weight shift as you burn off fuel... it is back from landing gear and the ignition.

So I used part of my last stick of 1/2x3/4 balsa to run the runners. The entire stick of balsa weighs like 18g so although it looks heavy... it is not. I used the left over 1/8 x 3/4 balsa to make the spacing... When done and covered... I can put two slits in the area between each of the two horizontal pieces to run my velcro straps... Two straps... a piece of sticky back on the tank and matching on the fuse side and they always stay where you want them to.

Also this area backs up the ignition mount and nose piece giving added strength to the fuse close to the engine vibration.... For long term I made sure I used gorilla glue where I could forward of the wing tube on the fuse section.

Attachments

• P1010487(1).JPG
    P1010487(1).JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 305
  • P1010489(1).JPG
    P1010489(1).JPG
    194.3 KB · Views: 243
  • P1010490(1).JPG
    P1010490(1).JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 256
The fuse is now done... It has been rough sanded and 220 block sanded... Before I cover it I will go over all of the joints and tug on them... plus block sand it one more time... Fuse weight is 2 lbs 10.8 oz Most folks come up at about 2 3/4 pounds so we are in the ballpark..

Next up... the wing...

Attachments

• P1010491(1).JPG
    P1010491(1).JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 309
The fuse takes up most of a doorway... The rudder will ad another foot... Measured nose to tip of the rudder on the plans is 77.5 inches.... By the time the engine and prop is mounted it will be very near 80 inches to match the 80.5 inch wingspan.

Attachments

• P1010492(1).JPG
    P1010492(1).JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 244

gyro

GSN Contributor
This has been really awesome and informative to watch so far! Thanks so much for sharing your build with us!

Buick Mackane

70cc twin V2
awesome build thread. i'm getting schooled. "what do you think you're doing, mr. spiccoli?" "learnin' about airframes and havin' some food"

Got dragged away from the build for a couple days... Hope to get started tomorrow right after I come back from my flying fix at the field....

The rudder is done.. Pretty straight forward.. This is all stick cut over the plans and glued with medium CA, I make sure I use pins or clamps to keep the joints tight until the glue sets... I prefer not to use kicker on my CA joints when possible. The hinge line piece should be medium to heavy density balsa... Mine was light density so I doubled up over the area where the control horn goes and also at the bottom where it might get banged...

Attachments

• Rudder.jpg
    Rudder.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 258