• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Xpress does a BANSHEE build...

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I have lots of updates that I'll be posting later today. But for now, a teaser!!!

[video=youtube;bV6YqiKhNLE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV6YqiKhNLE[/video]

The HSB-9465SH servo is WAY faster than I can move my thumb, but the DA70 seems to be able to keep up with it no problem. Electric like throttle response.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Ya man sounded good bra. On your next video try and fit you TX in the shot as you work the throttle, that will really showcase the speed & responsiveness. I have seen those servos in action and really like them.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
As promised, here is the updates. This all happened over the past few days.

The RCGF55 template was almost a perfect match for the DA70 (I have to ream one hole out slightly) so I used that as my drill guide.
_MG_5575.jpg

I almost hate having to cut into the CF, it looks so good.
_MG_5576.jpg

Test fitting the engine, I used the SWB 1" standoffs which include a variety of additional spacers so you can dial in your cowl spacing. I wound up having to use the 1" standoffs with the smallest spacers.
_MG_5577.jpg
I also bought the bolts and nuts from SWB to complete the mounting standoff package.

Because of how wide the standoffs are (1" at the base) I found that the reinforcing screws were protruding in the way. My fix was just to countersink them just below the surface to the standoffs fit flush.
_MG_5579.jpg

Engine all bolted in. Make sure you use washers on the other side of the firewall to spread out the load on the wood.
_MG_5580.jpg

I decided to make a mounting plate up top for the ignition, just a piece of plywood epoxied in place with slots cut for the velcro strap. The cables have yet to be secured, still waiting for my split wire loom to come in.
_MG_5582.jpg

Throttle servo mounted up, and throttle wire bent to shape for clearance. The included ball link and nut/bolt fit the DA70 throttle arm perfectly. Remember to use red loctite on the linkage to keep it in place (red because of the heat).
_MG_5584.jpg
I have grommets still on their way in the mail so I will be installing one of those to keep the fuel tubing from chafing- just test fitting in place for a test run.

Ignition switch installed. Also I drilled a hole for the supplied fuel dot. I ran the plumbing for the tank at this time.
_MG_5585.jpg

Cowl all cut up. This was a bit of a scary one as you can never be too certain if your cuts are correct with a one piece cowl. Just take your time, measure out the distance of your mufflers and the spacing between them, then start with small cuts. Use masking tape over the cowl to keep the paint from chipping.
_MG_5586.jpg
I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel to get a rough straight cut then I used a sanding drum to finalize the shape. Use some 150 grit sandpaper to sand away all of the leftover material and 220 to put a fine edge on it. Some opt to seal the edges with some clear nail polish but I don't feel the need to do that. As you can see I cut them wide and long to allow the cowl to slip over the mufflers when I install it. I also drilled a small hole for the choke rod- I just put a z-bend in a piece of piano wire then ran it through the choke lever, then cut to size.

Cowl all bolted in place.
_MG_5581.jpg

I like my clearances to be tight. Will have to get a spinner real soon here.
_MG_5591.jpg

It's so shiny!!
_MG_5588.jpg

Ready for everything else to be mounted inside.
_MG_5587.jpg

Will put in more work on it tomorrow and hopefully have it ready to maiden next weekend!!!! :banana::banana::banana:

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
One final build update.

I was told that I would need to do some baffling for the DA70 so I made a pair out of 9mm Depron I had lying around. The best part about the depron is the heat will melt it to the correct shape around the engine.
_MG_5592.jpg

I decided to mount my ignition battery here. If it gets too warm in there after the test flight then I'll move it inside of the airplane, but I think it should be fine here.
_MG_5594.jpg

Still waiting on my split wire loom (I may never get it at this rate with the speed of the shipping service that was used) but for now I fitted my cable clamps. These are 3/8".
_MG_5595.jpg

Moving back inside, I decided that the best place for my receivers was to get them above the rudder servo and away from the wing tube, so I made a mounting plate with a cross brace.You can see where I routed my antennas with the help of these red tubes I found lying around one of the various balsa boxes in my shop. I have 4 angles covered with the 2 receivers, which should eliminate any chances of completely losing the airplane.
_MG_5593.jpg

CG: At the front of the main spar.

The last steps were to figure out where my batteries needed to go for a proper CG and then mount my switch nearby. This is where I wound up mounting them, I can always move the ignition pack further back if need be.
_MG_5596.jpg

Fromeco switch mounted. I like these switches, they make charging easy.
_MG_5597.jpg

Wiring tidied up a bit.
_MG_5598.jpg

Just need a spinner and the airplane will be totally complete, but at least we can fly it this weekend.
_MG_5599.jpg

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Weekend!!! Dude thats too far off. Cant you sneak off for a few hours and get the maiden flight in?
Your killing me. Been waiting to see you get this bad boy in the air. It's okay man no one will know
just call in sick or say your having car trouble or whatever man.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aerobeez

70cc twin V2
Weekend!!! Dude thats too far off. Cant you sneak off for a few hours and get the maiden flight in?
Your killing me. Been waiting to see you get this bad boy in the air. It's okay man no one will know

LoL :]

Bipenut53

150cc

Wouldn't be hard to believe..... He does drive a Jeep.... :scaredchair:

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
That's where we will start it at, then we will tweak from there if I don't like it.

I work for Hitec, they'll be onto me like white on rice ;)