• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

ZDZ180B2-J champion

Jlc

70cc twin V2
I have some questions about the rear carb. An engine this size does it weaken the firewall cutting a hole that size for the carb? Are you guys cutting holes in the fuselage for needle adjustment?

lowdown

30cc
There was a guy on the other site years ago when the Super 80 came out and he tested pipes and the power output was incredible on that particular size engine.
I had one on a Pitts muffler in a Wildhare 40% Giles and it was also unreal power.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I have some questions about the rear carb. An engine this size does it weaken the firewall cutting a hole that size for the carb? Are you guys cutting holes in the fuselage for needle adjustment?

No, most ARF's are built with 3/8" aircraft ply firewalls and if you are building a kit you can use material to suite the job. It's more important to use a fender washer on both sides (or wide base standoff on the engine side) with any engine install to keep the pressure spread out and not crush the wood. I put a 90 in an EF MXS and had to cut out the hole large enough for the entire carb.....zero issues. On the ZDZ180 I have the firewall placed so I only use 1/4" standoffs and will install the carb after the engine is bolted on, that way the hole is actually quite small that goes through the firewall.

With this being a rotary valve motor, do pipes still increase power or do they not have any effect?

I'm not a pipe expert but I am on the lookout for some used or cheaper composite pipes to try on my 112. Looking at the testing done by others they make gobs of power on pipes an with the rotary valve it all but eliminates the "peaky" feel.

Even without pipes the rotary valve promotes super smooth non-sputtery operation which I'm really liking so far.

Reactions: Jlc