• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 1/3 Scale Extra 330L Build.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Got a little work done on the plane. Built the two stabilizers well not built I started the stabilizers. Must have snapped half the ribs getting it setup a little frustrating but the structure it together straight and square just have to finish a few small things and then I can start to sheet the stabilizers. Have to make two S1 ribs with tabs so that the stabs can be bolted in from under the stab. Change from the original design, just like it better than small screw through the tube.
45423B22-7BAB-4F54-915C-684B999E7AF7.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The screw through the tube works fine, but it's easier to get a tight fit with tabs and bolts through the end rib.
I agree with you jetpainter done both ways and do prefer the tabs it pulls the stabilizer up against the fuselage
Just a question I have done it with a aluminum tube but not on a carbon tube. How does it work then. I would be inclined to press or glue a short piece of aluminum into the end for the screw to thread into.

Last edited:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I agree with you jetpainter done both ways and do prefer the tabs it pulls the stabilizer up against the fuselage
Just a question I have done it with a aluminum tube but not on a carbon tube. How does it work then. I would be inclined to press or glue a short piece of aluminum into the end for the screw to thread into.
On my Carf I epoxied a blind nut in the tube, and on the Krill I used a hardwood dowel that I drilled and tapped, then CA'd the threads and retapped.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Spent some time cleaning up and sanding all the sheeting for the stabilizers. Cannot make up mind if it going to be painted or Ultracoat, that will all depends on the final weight. If it is going to be painted I only need to sand it down to 150 but if Ultracoat down to 320 or 400. And also make two new S1 ribs so that they can be bolted to the fuselage.
Question, if i glue the stabilizers in I can do a nice radius fillet between the stabilizers and the fuselage.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Question, if i glue the stabilizers in I can do a nice radius fillet between the stabilizers and the fuselage.
What does the full scale plane have there?

Just curious, how often do people actually remove removable horizontal stabilizers??