• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 1/3 Scale Extra 330L Build.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I use 10 mm lugs purchased from Newark for plug temperature, the thermistor wire is folded back and the bulb is lightly crimped and the wires are crimped then finished off with heat shrink.View attachment 120786View attachment 120787

I keep meaning to get some of those lugs. I've been putting the thermistor through silicone tubing so it's exposed on the other side, pushing it in between the cylinder fins, with a dab of RTV to hold it in place. It does work, just doesn't look as clean as that!

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
The best thing is that it is non evasive method. I have a ZDZ 80 RV with a sensor on each side of rear of the head. The engine is mounted about 20 degrees below the center line. I have the cylinder ducted and top side in the clean air flow runs 100 degrees cooler than the bottom side.View attachment 120798

That Christian eagle is BEAUTIFUL! Can you tell me more about your cannister mount system?

TonyHallo

150cc
That Christian eagle is BEAUTIFUL! Can you tell me more about your cannister mount system?
The mount provided by JMB, it is a silicon O-ring with an aluminum W shaped mount, the rear of the can is supported in a silicon rubber bushing on the snout. Photo was taken in 2006, still flying today although it does have a little rash. The can and mount were purchased from RC Showcase. I don't think JMB offers it anymore but it has held up well. Never broke an O-ring however I did have the mount located incorrect location has shown in the photo which dented the can, it is moved back an inch or two now. Here's a zoomed in photo of the mount.

mount.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The mount provided by JMB, it is a silicon O-ring with an aluminum W shaped mount, the rear of the can is supported in a silicon rubber bushing on the snout. Photo was taken in 2006, still flying today although it does have a little rash. The can and mount were purchased from RC Showcase. I don't think JMB offers it anymore but it has held up well. Never broke an O-ring however I did have the mount located incorrect location has shown in the photo which dented the can, it is moved back an inch or two now. Here's a zoomed in photo of the mount.

View attachment 120813
Like that mount neat and clean, always stop producing stuff that works .

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok trying to figure out how this battery splitter/balancing device from AR works. It will also use the battery with the higher voltage. It is also smart switch, and will shut off one of the batteries if the voltage becomes erratic. I have run into problems on similar items like this one, while trying to change the batteries. And this one seems to be same. The problem happens because of the AR unit the two batteries are connected inside unit . You can not charge the two batteries at the same time you will blow up something as soon as push the charge button things start to smoke and melt. It’s got to do with the grounding of the charges . So I will have always charge one battery at time. The reason I need this system is that I am running two batteries and two receivers. This allows always one or both batteries to supply power to both receivers.

Attachments

• 3A85E27E-E4A9-4375-BCAA-4D44566B3E03.jpeg
    3A85E27E-E4A9-4375-BCAA-4D44566B3E03.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 89

TonyHallo

150cc
Do you charge with the batteries in the plane? At the end of the day I take them out and put the batteries on a storage charge on the way home, If I'm lucky I remember to unplug the batteries and charger when I get home. I think a friend of mine recently bought a plane with an AR dual battery switch in it, I haven't got a look at it yet.
Are you running two receivers for redundancy or to expand channels? Or both? Seems like I have no standard because FrSky keeps bringing out new stuff. I'm using 3 receivers in the Champ with SBUS and a 8 channel redundancy buss, the telemetry is hooked up in trio mode so the active receiver will broadcast the telemetry. I have tested all possible failover conditions and it seems to working correctly. The receivers are scattered about the plane and hooked up with 30 gage wire, there is no servo load on any of them.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I know this is a no no but yes I charge in the batteries in the plane and when I do I am always standing next to the plane never walk away. They are tucked into the nose for counterweight. The batteries get charged at home before I go flying and when I get home they will discharge or charged to 50%.
This is the first time I have used two receivers. This new radio allows me to bind to receivers. Still not sure how I am going to set it up. They are 8 channel receivers.
The one reason I am not sure on phow to do it because all the servos in this plane are MKS so the two had to setup the receivers in PPM mode instead of XBUS. If it was XBUS it didn’t matter where the servos got plugged in everything would work from both receivers. Still thinks on it.?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I use 14 channel Futaba receivers so never looked into dual receivers.
Yes I can go to higher number channel receiver but I just wanted to try to make two receivers work for redundancy. I will tell you if I made the right choice, starting to think not because the servos have to operate in PPM mode, which makes splitting the servos difficult. So I might end up changing the servos or the receiver.