• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 1/3 Scale Extra 330L Build.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok trying to figure out how this battery splitter/balancing device from AR works. It will also use the battery with the higher voltage. It is also smart switch, and will shut off one of the batteries if the voltage becomes erratic. I have run into problems on similar items like this one, while trying to change the batteries. And this one seems to be same. The problem happens because of the AR unit the two batteries are connected inside unit . You can not charge the two batteries at the same time you will blow up something as soon as push the charge button things start to smoke and melt. It’s got to do with the grounding of the charges . So I will have always charge one battery at time. The reason I need this system is that I am running two batteries and two receivers. This allows always one or both batteries to supply power to both receivers.

I have the AR pin flag Gen1 like yours, Gen2, and Gen3 (Just different cases and input styles). The device pulls the juice from the highest voltage battery and distributes it through the two leads. I always remove my batteries before charging, or just swap them out with fresh ones.

The mount provided by JMB, it is a silicon O-ring with an aluminum W shaped mount, the rear of the can is supported in a silicon rubber bushing on the snout. Photo was taken in 2006, still flying today although it does have a little rash. The can and mount were purchased from RC Showcase. I don't think JMB offers it anymore but it has held up well. Never broke an O-ring however I did have the mount located incorrect location has shown in the photo which dented the can, it is moved back an inch or two now. Here's a zoomed in photo of the mount.

View attachment 120813
Neat!, I have three JMB cannisters now, I've been trying to figure out how to use the rear tube mount in a current build. I may just use a small screw/bolt through the teflon couplers though.

I use 14 channel Futaba receivers so never looked into dual receivers.

Normally Futaba dual receivers are never true redundancy and just expand the channels. eg; my two R7008SB (8ch) receivers linked together are essentially giving me 18 channels. I can split the plane with those channels but only one rx will have the throttle. For this reason I decided to not do that anymore. Instead I've started to use the 14channel like you. However, Futaba recently came out with the DLPH-1 which is a power expander that has full receiver redundancy, so if one fails the other takes over. I have one of these coming to check out. There is also an SBUS version.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Agree, I never saw enough value in having some control if you lost one receiver. Futaba is pretty reliable. Or bluntly, it's less work to use a single receiver.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
1. Yes I have changed the set up on the batteries so that I can remove the batteries and charge both at the same time a lot work and extra connectors but it is done and safer.
2. Well going through all the difficulties doing two receivers in PPM is not great and will not do it again because as dhall mentioned you end up with the throttle on one receiver not good but it will have to do this time. It does work in XBus.
3. Will not do this again we all have to learn the hard way. If I do use dual receivers will make sure that all the servos are XBus compatible, then it is easier.
4. Last but not least I have never had a receiver failure so why am I doing this?. I must admit I have had one receiver that I bought but it was dead from the start, never turned on just dead never bought another from that company.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I have the AR pin flag Gen1 like yours, Gen2, and Gen3 (Just different cases and input styles). The device pulls the juice from the highest voltage battery and distributes it through the two leads. I always remove my batteries before charging, or just swap them out with fresh ones.

Neat!, I have three JMB cannisters now, I've been trying to figure out how to use the rear tube mount in a current build. I may just use a small screw/bolt through the teflon couplers though.

Normally Futaba dual receivers are never true redundancy and just expand the channels. eg; my two R7008SB (8ch) receivers linked together are essentially giving me 18 channels. I can split the plane with those channels but only one rx will have the throttle. For this reason I decided to not do that anymore. Instead I've started to use the 14channel like you. However, Futaba recently came out with the DLPH-1 which is a power expander that has full receiver redundancy, so if one fails the other takes over. I have one of these coming to check out. There is also an SBUS version.
You have 3 JMB canisters have you owned other manufacturers if you have how do they compare. I tried about 6 months ago to buy a complete system from them never got an answer. Did you get it from a US supplier or from JMB

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
You have 3 JMB canisters have you owned other manufacturers if you have how do they compare. I tried about 6 months ago to buy a complete system from them never got an answer. Did you get it from a US supplier or from JMB
Nothing else so far. Ordered direct from JBM. Two headers, and two TRA-70-L and one TRC-60-L, I think the 60 was too small for my GP76. I've installed the 70 in my 89" laser (pending flight test), and am currently putting one in a 120" TBM. The TRC-60-L is their best selling cannister for the 120cc planes (uses 2) I believe. It's very quiet.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Nothing else so far. Ordered direct from JBM. Two headers, and two TRA-70-L and one TRC-60-L, I think the 60 was too small for my GP76. I've installed the 70 in my 89" laser (pending flight test), and am currently putting one in a 120" TBM. The TRC-60-L is their best selling cannister for the 120cc planes (uses 2) I believe. It's very quiet.
Be interested to see how they work out and what you think of them. In the beginning stages of drawing up a Taylorcraft about 100cc size. Would like to maybe size and design the plane to be able to fit a pair of JMB canisters.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The radio is installed and all the wiring sorted out and the servo distribution decided on. Also the battery terminals located so it is easy to access check and charge. Just need to setup the antenna and get them supported and oriented.

0DD53F94-DC99-45F4-B69D-0DA34126F5BF.jpeg