• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport 30% Edge 540 Pete Marshall Plans with Laser Cut Short Kit

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
About 90% done with the covering. Just need a few stripes on the bottom sides of the wings. I did also glue the hinges in for the ailerons already.

When I had the plane together for the pic, I weighed it along with the rest of the gear not installed yet. 16.5 lbs dry weight:) I am sure happy bout that!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 299
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 309
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 293
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 293
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 321
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 294

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
Cowl is the Pilot 30% Edge 540. I had them send it to me without any paint but primed already. The wheel pants I got the same way. The canopy is from Fiberglass Specialties. I put the actual part number in an earlier post. It is a 35% Extra 300 canopy.

The last two days I have glued all the control horns and control surfaces in place, finished the bottom black stripes which I messed up on. 2 inches of difference on them. I put the stripe down in the wrong side of the mark I placed on the wing... Whoops! I haven't tried fixing it yet. I don't know how easily I can get a layer of Ultracote off without hurting the first layer. I will probably fly it a couple times to see how noticeable it is before I spend the time to do it right. I installed all the servos and pushrods. The control throws are all set up as well. Last thing tonight was to get a rough hack at the CG. I will be putting my batteries up close to the f-1 former to get a good CG.

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
Tonight I was able to cut the cowl to fit. I did have to take quite a bit out of the bottom front to fit the cylinder head and muffler. Then I drilled the holes to mount the cowl. Last I was able to get one coat of paint on. It is looking very promising for a maiden this weekend!!

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
So the paint that I found closest to match the orange isn't going to cut it. So now I am working on stripping the paint and going to go with all black. It will still look pretty good, just not quite how I envisioned.

BalsaDust

What I'm doing with one of the planes I'm recovering is using latex paint. Just take a piece of scrap covering and put it on some scrap balsa. Take it to lowes and have them mix you up one of the sample paint jars. Only like five bucks. While you there also pick up a can of minwax Polycrylic its a water based polyurethane. You will mix it and the paint together to spray from a spray gun I think I had it mixed roughly at 40% paint 60% poly but really just whatever works to get it to spray well through the spray gun. Once you've sprayed it allow it to cure for a day or two and then just hit it with W couple coats of rattle can high gloss clearcoat to protect it. I'm partial to duplicolor brand rattle cans but any will work.

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
Thanks for the possible fix Chris. I tried taking that orange to lowes, Home Depot, and ace hardware with none of them able to help with that color. The best they found was a rattle can that wasn't nearly as bright as the covering.

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
So took the plane to the field today. I got her running with a good range check. During the range check, it was found that one of my elevator hinges wasn't glued well at all! Glad I didn't get it in the air! So brought her back home to fix. Hopefully this week still...