• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport 30% Edge 540 Pete Marshall Plans with Laser Cut Short Kit

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
Here are the pictures of the cowl. I took out the plywood cowl ring and secured it with basswood blocks and screws. The fit on F-1 was good in the top and sides with a little coaxing. You can see that it is taller than the fuselage by seeing the extra about 1.5 inches on the bottom. The most problem I had was the front part. The cylinder head was hitting the front of the cowl before the front of the engine was sticking out of the cowl. That's what prompted the holes in the front so nothing on the cowl was hitting the engine with it placed properly. So I am not sure what the difference is between this and the Pilot Edge with a DA up front. It seems to me that fitting would be identical.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 348
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 338
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    30.4 KB · Views: 356

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
3 flights this morning!!!!! 2 clicks of elevator trim, 2 clicks of aileron trim and about 4 clicks of rudder trim and she was hands off on the 2nd pass after takeoff. She took off at 1/3 throttle and was pretty stable right off the bat. Was very gentle with her the first flight. The landing was a 3 pointer but very controlled and pretty slow.

The CG is slightly tail heavy right now. Chopping the throttle on level inverted flight and the plane stays level. On the 45 degree up line inverted, it is also rock steady with no tendency for the nose to drop. It tracks pretty well. I'm sure I will need to make a few tweaks to get it "IMAC" perfect. Not that I plan on competing anytime soon...

The 2nd and third flights were used to test medium and high rates. The elevator makes a little snap on high rates close to full deflection. But it is also extremely touchy on the elevator. Which is also explained by the tail heaviness.

Overall, I am super stoked on how well she performed! Not overly powerful with the 50 up front but enough to hover and have some pullout ability. She is a keeper!!

I have a few videos of the first flight that I will get up when I get them uploaded to YouTube.

Congrats on the successful first flights! It's a great feeling that never gets old!

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Way to go @Bluepilot2003.

I've been following your build here and you have given me the incentive to finish mine that I started last year. I have the fuse almost done, and the tail feathers are also done. I just have to build the wings and I'll be done as well.

I'm going to power mine with a ZDZ 60. Did you have much trouble fitting the Pilot cowl to it?

Regards,

Dennis

That's what we're here for! A little kick in the arse here, a push there and everyone's flying!

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
Having flown this plane for a month, I can make a few more observations to help anyone else to decide to build this plane.

Since I did 4 bolts to hold the wings on instead of 2 and 2 dowels, I should have reinforced the trailing end of the W1 rib. One side cracked due to stress and I have since reinforced with a couple coats of 30 minute epoxy inside the wing. I have flown it 2 differerent times now with no issues with the reinforcement.

With the 3 servos in the tail, it is absolutely neutral in a 45 degree inverted up line (more tail heavy than it should be) with the DA-50 up front. I don't want to add weight to the nose since the engine is just barely able to pull out of a hover. I may get a DA-70 to fix the power and CG issues.

For really good 3D flying, the elevators need to be reshaped on the inboard side. The way it is designed, the rudder will hit the elevators well before the required throws for awesome 3D flight.

This plane has very good flight characteristics overall as you could see on the maiden flight. It knife edges well with very little coupling. I am by no means a great pilot, but can hover it no problem, pop tops are doable but would be better with a 70 up front, and it knife edge spins very well.

It is now my favorite plane to take to the field and am figuring out what will be the next big build... 100cc or 150cc possible biplane? :D