• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

30% OMP Extra 300 v2 Assembly

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
I have made a little more progress with the Extra. I’ve mounted my power switch on the right side of the fuse just forward of the screw that secures the canopy. This switch turns on/off the PDS; no system power runs through the switch as the two A123’s connect directly to the PDS. Except for the first flight of the day and a mid day inspection of the interior, it’s nice not having to open the canopy after/before each flight. The PDS is the type that should the switch fail the PDS stays in an always on state until the main packs are unplugged.

Power 1.jpg

I did something a little different this time for my status LED’s. I usually mount two on the fuse in separate LED housings, one for power and one for IBEF/ignition. When I rewired the switch for the PDS I removed the JR charge jack. I used two 3mm LED’s (white for power and green for IBEF/ignition) and mounted them in the switch housing where the JR plug was located. I think this is going to work nicely but won’t know for sure until I get some engine vibrations moving through the fuse. The LED’s are “hidden†but very bright and easily visible in sunlight.

Power 2.jpg

The fuel dot is installed on the left side of the fuse just forward of the wing anti-rotation pin. I’ve used the JEM fuel dot on my 30cc and 100cc with excellent results so I stayed with it for the Extra. It’s easy to install, the plug stays secure in the housing while flying and it’s easy to remove the plug when you need to refuel. A similar product that I think would work/look nice is the McFueler; I’ve read only positive comments about it.

Fuel Dot.jpg Fuel Dot Side.jpg

I’m using a 500ml Fiji bottle with the PSP Mfg. aluminum cap for my fuel tank. Was able to get it put together (3 line system) and installed where I think it needs to be for a good working CG location. I also installed the IBEF as well and gave it a test with the PDS, RX and TX working together, seems to be operating properly.

Fiji & IBEF.jpg

There is not a lot more to do to have the Extra ready for the maiden flight. Only a couple of major things need to be completed; mount the engine and throttle servo and setup the linkage geometry. Once that is done I can add abut ½ tank of fuel and figure out the final install locations for the RX, PDS, A123’s and fuel bottle…………..getting closer.

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Back to the assembly after a short delay.

The Red Lion 58 engine that I was going to use on this Extra was defective. After a couple of weeks back at OMP, the lack of local parts and 4 to 6 weeks to get parts from Red Lion, OMP refunded my purchase price for the engine......fine with me.

I purchased the EME 60 from Mile High RC. This is another "unproven" Asia market engine but the initial talk and early performance numbers look very good on the 60 as well as the 35 and 120 cc engine. Ran it yesterday for the first time on my test stand for several minutes for a basic tune, at least enough to be comfortable with on the maiden flight. Didn't do much to the needles, maybe leaned the low about 1/8 turn. I'm pleased with the engine at this point; castings, at least on the outside, look very good, assembly is tight and nothing looks misaligned, the engine starts easily, smooth idle, smooth transition, and good rpm on the top end. No tach reading yet but will get some maiden day.

Did my initial trial fit of the engine. Needed some 8mm spacers in addition to the stand-offs supplied with the EME60 to give me a nice 2mm spinner gap. Went with a J-Tec Pitts style muffler........I like the exhaust to be centered under the cowl.

Spinner Gap.jpg EME60 Top View.jpg EME60 Trial Fit.jpg

Down to the last couple of things; fit the cowl and locate the electronics to hit the CG target. If I can get this done over the next several nights I may have a shot at the maiden this weekend.

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
I've been able to make a little more progress the last several days. Nothing tricky on the setup or install, just the minor things need to be able to get ready and fly.

- Engine is mounted.
- Choke rod installed
- Pitts muffler is installed; giving the Nord-Lock washers a try since there is ample room with the J-tec pitts.
- IBEF and ignition mounted
- Fiji bottle is plumbed with vent, fill and carb lines.
- Throttle servo is mounted and linkage installed. Geometry looks good at this point but won't know for sure until I start and run the engine. Travel range looks good along with smooth movement; if any adjustment is needed it may be on the low idle.....a couple of points on the low travel is all it may take.
- Cowl is cut. Fit turned out nice as I didn't have to hack up the cowl to be able to slip it over the prop shaft, jug, spark plug cap, and exhaust tubes.

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

Hopefully in the next day or two I can get the stabs and wings mounted, add 1/2 tank of gas and get the packs, power board and RX locations finalized for a good maiden CG. Ha........it's been a while since I've had a plane in the air. Before I maiden the Extra I better put some time in with the foamy, then 48" Edge and then the 71" Slick.

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
The florescent lighting inside doesn't do the plane justice. Outside on the ground, in the late afternoon sun, the green "pops" pretty good. I'm hoping for the same visibility when it's in the air.

First time to put the wings and stabilizers on the fuse. Wing tube is tight but should loosen up a little after several flights.

Ran the engine for several minutes and dialed in the throttle servo end points and travel. Checked my idle up switch and ignition kill, all is working as intended. I think this EME 60 is going to be a sweet engine from the early indications.

LF View.jpg

RR View.jpg

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Wahoooo.........pretty much done!! :bouncy: Similar to the picture above but the cowl is on.

Just need to secure the electronics in their final positions and the Extra will be ready for it's maiden flight.

Hopefully I can get some additional pics posted this evening of the little things I've been working on over the past several weeks to get the plane completed.

LF Complete.jpg