• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

35 Sbach Scratchbuild

abaser

50cc
Sorry, I always get mini and micro confused in my head.
I used that solar for a little while on the rudder of a 48" Vyper, and it worked pretty well. Solars can be hit or miss however, sometimes they don't work out well.

Not a problem. The confusion happens here as well.:thumbup:

I've heard good things about the solar, but along with the good always comes the "remember, you get what you pay for" speech.

abaser

50cc
Well, the issues continue. The problem with the servo is slack in the gears. It can be felt anywhere in the rotation. It's also been brought to my attention that they're 6v only servos. I've only got 4.8 to play with. So, looks like another order.

njswede

150cc
Those are micro. I'll check their sizes to see if they'll work or not, but all other micros have been too small for my servo trays.

I've found these, but I'm leary of going cheap again.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-d658.html#scProductReviewsws

Here's a video of what my rudder servo is doing.

[video=youtube;HsSbBLH-DL4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsSbBLH-DL4[/video]

Whatever you do, stay away from the PowerHD servos! I had thee servos strip in an equal number of flights. I've had some minis from Solar and I had no major compalints. Not as fast as they advertize, but they worked fine for the dozen flights I put on them before an secret benefactor (hi Gary!) hooked me up with Aligns.

That being said, I've decided to bite the bullet and go Savox, Align or Hitec from now on. If you subscribe to ServoCity's newsletter, they'll occasionally send you coupon codes. I saved 20% on a set of HS65MG on one of those codes recently. Well worth checking out!

SnowDog

[I'm using Solar servos D771's in my 71" slick and loving them so far. Fast, consistent centering. Longevity is still unknown. I've also got some smaller Solar servos for my ef 60" Extra...but those aren't installed yet.

abaser

50cc
I may be asking for trouble, but I've got my servo issue temporarily solved. I took the good 1711 off the wing, and placed it on the rudder. Now for the scary part. I modified the servo trays to fit hs-65s. Now, I know that's probably not the best idea, but I'm not going to be doing wild 3D for a while, so I figure they'll do until I can replace them. Maybe tonight I can mount the engine permanently, and get this thing maidened this weekend.:D

SnowDog

I may be asking for trouble, but I've got my servo issue temporarily solved. I took the good 1711 off the wing, and placed it on the rudder. Now for the scary part. I modified the servo trays to fit hs-65s. Now, I know that's probably not the best idea, but I'm not going to be doing wild 3D for a while, so I figure they'll do until I can replace them. Maybe tonight I can mount the engine permanently, and get this thing maidened this weekend.:D

I suspect those won't last but I guess it's worth a try.

gyro

GSN Contributor

Sounds like a good interim solution. The 65mg is a great servo for the size and price. Should you need more torque, the Savox 0255 I previously mentioned is the same physical size as the 65mg