• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3dhs 41" Edge

njswede

150cc
I'm a tinkerer I guess. I wanted to see what would happen and now I know. Lol

Hehe... Yeah... :)

If I remember correctly, advanced timing can get you some extra RPMs at the cost of more heat. It works best at high RPMs (and high Kvs) and the lower the RPM, the more losses you'll get as heat. This makes it exceptionally bad for 3D. If you're harriering and hovering, you're going to fly at 1/4 to 3/4 throttle most of the time, so you'll get bad efficiency, lots of heat and not a lot of prop wash and airflow for cooling. In other words, you're better off leaving the timing alone.

For EDFs and high-speed models with high Kvs it's a different story, though...

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
Thanks for the tip. My LHS had one of those Eflite 1020 kv 480 motors. I went ahead and grabbed it since 3DHS listed it as one of the motors. The mount doesn't line up with the holes though. Is it worth plugging them and redrilling or should I just order another omega 72g and not mess with the timing?

morefuel

New to GSN!
I would say get another omega 72g or a motorfly 2610 1100kv. I've read the eflite park 480 weighs the same but has substantially less power.

njswede

150cc
I tried various motors in my 41 before I finally got the Omega 72g and I can say this: Don't bother experimenting with other motors. Either the plane was a pain to balance or they weren't powerful enough. Or sometimes both.

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
Got a new Omega 72g. I won't experiment or tinker with this one. :p

I also picked up some lighter packs. I got a couple 1600s and a 1300.

SnowDog

Got a new Omega 72g. I won't experiment or tinker with this one. :p

I also picked up some lighter packs. I got a couple 1600s and a 1300.

I've got the Omega 72g in my 40" EPP Edge and all I can say is wow! that is a powerful and light motor. Really pulls it around for such a "little engine that could" !

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
I've got the Omega 72g in my 40" EPP Edge and all I can say is wow! that is a powerful and light motor. Really pulls it around for such a "little engine that could" !

I have the 103 in mine. I will admit it's a little OP.