• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 70" Velox

gyro

GSN Contributor
So I'm assuming that you guys have enough experience with the motrolfly 4325-425 that heat will not be as much of an issue? (Obviously it has a higher amp rating)

Mine runs excellent on my Velox, even in the heat. I run the same 18x10 prop that [MENTION=33]ryan_m[/MENTION] does... And we both push the motor in the summer.
Don't forget to baffle if you can, the cooling air directed onto the motor will only help, especially in the summer.

SnowDog

I had a similar issue with a Scorpion motor on my 65" Vyper...magic smoke, too hot, magnets came loose and started rubbing.

Put in venting scoops, got a Motrolfly motor, and this has one of my best performing planes for the last two years.

Sorry it cost you a toasted motor to figure out the problem. :(

Actually, it was probably a cheap lesson compared to what it could have been.

Changing gears -

On the one flight we did get where he pushed it, I was almost surprised how well it flew from a lot of perspectives.

Given that the velox is not exactly the most popular and latest and greatest airframe, what would you guys compare it's capabilities and limitations to in other maybe more "popular" airframes. The reason that I ask is that I'm tempted to get another airframe as a backup or do you guys think I should consider something else?

To give you a frame of reference, I like crazy 3d both fast tumbling and low and slow like many if you, but I also appreciate the capability to be precise in maneuvers such as a slow roll.

Thanks for your help and the experience you'll are willing to share.

ryan_m

100cc
Describing the Velox... It's perfect at crazy fast tumbling aerobatics like crankshafts and pop tops. And smooth as silk in harriers and low/slow close in 3d. It is extremely agile and easy to hover as a result. You can let the nose fall off of vertical farther than other planes, and still be able to force it back up. I would say it gives up some in precision flight to other 70-74" planes. It's a 3d plane, and an animal at 3d, but the Slick and Extras are smoother. Though they aren't ask good at the low/slow stuff. If you wanted one that was better at all styles, and not just a 3d monster, I would go with the 72" Extra from 3dhs.

As you mentioned, I'm always mystified that the plane isn't more popular. At our field we have 3-4 of them now and people love it. But people that don't see it, or try it seem much more inclined to buy a Slick or Extra and so the Velox doesn't sell as well. For me though, I've sold off my 71" Slick, 72" Extra, and 74" Edge, but the one I keep is the 70" Velox. Love that thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

I think a 50cc Velox would be a huge selller! I've not owned a Velox simply because the current one is a bit too small for gas, and I've already got enough electric planes in that size. I know some people have put 20cc and even 30cc motors on the Velox, but I'd rather have a bit bigger version before going through all that work.

Ahblair4

70cc twin V2
I think a 50cc Velox would be a huge selller! I've not owned a Velox simply because the current one is a bit too small for gas, and I've already got enough electric planes in that size. I know some people have put 20cc and even 30cc motors on the Velox, but I'd rather have a bit bigger version before going through all that work.

Maybe a limited run ;) lol

I just flew my 48" VR1 for the first time this season. I just love how it tumbles and flies crazy stuff. It is the only 48" plane I have left and I remember why i keep it. I need to tach my 26cc one this weekend and get some comparative numbers with the electric setups for thrust and pitch speed.

Looking to power my velox. Stitz at gca fli this past weekend recommended 8s 4325-310 2x4s4000 setup ok was gonna do it but I see in previous he's looking to bail from electric. After having was the thread and have always wanted a gasser what's my best move. Biggest packs I got are 4s3000 that I run in 51 slick. 6s seems cheaper then 8s for packs and gasser seems cheaper then electric being I have no big packs. My question is which engine or motor is best was leaning dle30 until I read hard to balance and not so good low and slow! But I definitely want low and slow love my crack yak and know I can't get a 30cc to do it that slow but I really want high energy also? Would dle30 accomplish this if I run tank at wing tube run 3 servos at tail and move electronics behind tube. Not looking for a boat but also love the power got a motrofly in 51 slick and it's a beast 3615-750 what's the general consensus. This would be my first gasser and I would say I can fly pretty good had a few dumb thumbs and mechanical failures but nothing that wasn't fixed.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Looking to power my velox. Stitz at gca fli this past weekend recommended 8s 4325-310 2x4s4000 setup ok was gonna do it but I see in previous he's looking to bail from electric. After having was the thread and have always wanted a gasser what's my best move. Biggest packs I got are 4s3000 that I run in 51 slick. 6s seems cheaper then 8s for packs and gasser seems cheaper then electric being I have no big packs. My question is which engine or motor is best was leaning dle30 until I read hard to balance and not so good low and slow! But I definitely want low and slow love my crack yak and know I can't get a 30cc to do it that slow but I really want high energy also? Would dle30 accomplish this if I run tank at wing tube run 3 servos at tail and move electronics behind tube. Not looking for a boat but also love the power got a motrofly in 51 slick and it's a beast 3615-750 what's the general consensus. This would be my first gasser and I would say I can fly pretty good had a few dumb thumbs and mechanical failures but nothing that wasn't fixed.

Highly recommend the 6s5000mah setup on this bird, it's tons of power and keeps the plane light and fun.
Motrofly 4325-425kv with an 18x10 or 19x8 is the way to go!
It'll also cost less vs a 8s setup depending on ESC choice.

Personally, I'm running the Motrofly on 6s5000 packs, and a Gecko 155a ESC (a little overkill, but it's very light and has a powerful internal 8a/16a BEC.

Highly recommend the 6s5000mah setup on this bird, it's tons of power and keeps the plane light and fun.
Motrofly 4325-425kv with an 18x10 or 19x8 is the way to go!
It'll also cost less vs a 8s setup depending on ESC choice.

Personally, I'm running the Motrofly on 6s5000 packs, and a Gecko 155a ESC (a little overkill, but it's very light and has a powerful internal 8a/16a BEC.

What amps does this pull on 18x10 would a 125gecko be enough how's the pull out from hover and how's the top speed two different animals but wondering how it acts on smaller prop as 19 is a bit much for the small lg