• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

71" AJ Slick Building, Flying, and Questions

ryan_m

100cc
Cool thanks. So, going 6s might not have the power to weight the 51'' did on 4s but i'm OK with that. My 51'' was almost stupid overpowered anyways. I guess i'll get a 4325-380. I would go 8s but i don't want to run batteries in a series in this size plane. Maybe i'll look at setting up a 12s 50cc bird later for that.

I've run 6s and 8s on my 70/71 slick. I actually prefer 6s, and I think you can get a very nicely powered 6s setup. I am as happy with the amount of power on 6s as what I had on 8s, I just like the feel on 6s better, seems smoother and nicer to me. Batteries are more important on a high powered 6s setup, you will be pushing them, so I would get nice 30c ones. I'm quite happy with the four gens ace 6s5300 30c ones that I have. I've owned the 4325-380, 310, a Rimfire 1.20, and most recently a 4325-425 custom wind. The Rimfire is very similar to a 4325-450, spins an 18x8 and makes pretty good speed. I wanted more, so I went for the 4325-425 but spinning an 18x10 instead of 18x8. It gets just a bit more speed and still has plenty of power for pulling out of a hover/harrier.
The 380 works best on a 19x10, you do get some noticeable torque effect in hovers, but it makes for nice amount of thrust for flying the plane around with in 3d moves. It's just a tad on the slow side for pop tops and other high energy moves. I'm about to order a new motor for a new 71" slick to replace my old 70, and will be getting another 4325-425. I've got one on my Velox currently, had one on the 70" Slick that I sold too. This will make my third.

ryan_m

100cc
What kind of flight time will i be looking at with the motrofly with 6s 5300s?

Depends on throttle usage, I get an easy 6:30. If I'm taking it easy on that flight I have gotten 7:30, but with the 425kv I find myself doing more high speed high energy stuff and getting closer to 6:30-6:45

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Had a nice quick trip to the field this morning before my son's soccer game.

New ProTek 20x8 prop now that the PTE is broken in good. Boy what a difference a prop makes. It went from being pretty squirrelly last week to smooth like butter this week. We got a nice tune on the motor and now everything just feels so smooth.

Here is a bit of vid.

[video=youtube_share;pfnVdVUDiPM]http://youtu.be/pfnVdVUDiPM[/video]

hone

150cc
Orange. I would have got red if i never had a slick before but i really liked my orange 51. I'm soo glad i pulled the trigger on it, i know they'll be sold out again soon.

SteveT.

100cc
Orange. I would have got red if i never had a slick before but i really liked my orange 51. I'm soo glad i pulled the trigger on it, i know they'll be sold out again soon.

I have the orange 51, red 59 (would have bought the orange, but they were out of stock). orange 71 and orange 89..... I really like the orange!! It "pops" on the sky!!

SteveT