• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Article: E-Flite UMX AS3Xtra by rcdude07

Netflyer

New to GSN!
I like mine, I really like the colors, but it's a bit stiff and I DO NOT like the AS3X on all the time. I have it programmed to my 3 position flap switch and like the review, I fly in the 'normal AS3X mode but that is the 'middle' flap position on my DX7s. My flap alarm sounds when I turn the box on and I put that switch into the first position and sometimes forget and hand launch the AS3X (is there any other way to launch it?). In this, 'recommended starting' position according to the manual, the plane REALLY REALLY wants to track a straight line and this is fine and dandy unless you are in a 20' x 20' x 10' box :) So, quick, flip that puppy to the middle position :) ... I am a knife edge junkie and this plane, for me, wants to correct out of my knife push circles into inverted and I'm sure it's due to the as3x. Now, in any kind of a hover it is just plain too easy. I mean come on, it's like 3d with training wheels. Perfect as the review said for the backyard fun but too easy to practice real 3d on in my humble opinion. The AS3x does a great job with up to 8 knots of wind for pretending this is a pattern ship, I'll give it that, in a field it feels like you are flying a MUCH larger plane. Just want to be able to turn it completely off at times. The plane makes you think you are a MUCH better 3d flier than you are :) It's like you paid it to make you feel good about your flying :) ahem...
I've been playing with turn arounds WAY too low and just a few minutes ago pulled into the ground like a ninny boob... foam safe CA and initiator are doing a fine job on this model BUT, it is really fragile. I broke both wings on a plain and simple knife spin.. the struts let me land, nicely holding the wings in place but seriously, there needs to be some carbon in there, going through the cross frame, wing to wing...
Not to complain about a plane that cost less than $100 because this is a FUN plane, but it is just not a great 3d trainer (could be if you could completely disable the as3x circuit) and makes some very difficult 3d moves like rapid torque rolls too easy to do. This yields complacency towards other models instead of adding skill and respect.
I also agree, this is a model for an intermediate or expert to have fun with and not worry about its short comings.

Last edited by a moderator:

alawson999

70cc twin V2
[MENTION=3014]AKfreak[/MENTION] -

I gotthe Bowker kits
I bought the motor upgrades from micro-motor-warehouse as suggested.
One last question for you

Did you use an external brushed esc? As I bench test the hotter motor, it hit the current limit that is in the built in esc in the receiver -about 2/3 throttle

Icould do a throttle curve to limit it to that, but would really like the full 100% throttle- meaining an add on esc.

Found one at micronwings.com- but would appreciate yourinsight

alawson999

70cc twin V2
I am getting close to finishing one of the 3DRankin extras . I did a decent job, but a few things would have been done a bit differntly.

If there is any interest, I can share a few pictures.

I did the brusheless upgrade, and found some 1s 220mah 45C batteries @ 5grams

anyone interested?

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Been working on knife edge spins with this little feller. Monday I was able to get one really good knife edge spin. Most of mine end up with either the tail or nose being too high.

AKfreak

150cc
That as3x really can effect the performance. I am working on doing a brushless version of this plane as my in the house plane.