• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Bill Hempel Yak 55

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Good morning Fella's.

Well, the flying gods must not be happy with me, because I still haven't flown my Yak yet. . . . . :(.

I took it out last weekend to fly it and the red headed beast didn't want to run right. It would idle all day, but as soon as I tried to advance the throttle, it would bog down and quit. Playing with the needles didn't help, so I took the prop and cowl off and started to inspect everything. As soon as I grabbed the fuel line at the carb to pull the line off, the 90 degree fitting that the line attaches to moved. As it turns out, the fitting is only press fit and somehow it had worked its way loose enough for air to enter the carb around the fitting which caused the engine problem. I know this because I carefully tapped the fitting back into the carb with a small hammer and put everything back together. Then I started and ran the engine again and it worked perfectly. My Buddy Earl was there helping me and he told me to take the carb off the engine and give it to him. He said he would take it home and permanently fix the problem. He said he would gently put a very small groove in the gap between the fitting and the carb with a Dremel tool and fill it with a small bead of JB Weld. Earl called me later that evening and told me the carb was fixed and ready to go.

I was planning on flying my Yak this weekend as well, but 20 to 30 MPH winds both days have put those plans on hold. . . . :laughing:. Hopefully next weekend or Thanksgiving weekend will be better weather so I can finally fly my Yak.

Hey @Snoopy1 , I apologize for the late response, but I did get a picture of the Yak in my Durango from the front seat.

Yak 93.jpg

The cowl and prop were not on the plane, but as you can see, there is still plenty of room. One thing I may have failed to mention previously is that my Durango is the "Crew" version that has seating for 7 people which helps explain why I have the extra room for the plane.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well fellas,

Gosh, it's crazy how fast time goes these days. It's hard to believe I haven't posted anything in this thread since February. With winter time, work and life occupying my time, I STILL haven't had a chance to fly my Yak. . . . . :(. I also had something strange happen with my radio and I somehow lost the program I had in it for the Yak. So I went to my friends house yesterday morning and we set up everything in the radio again. It took us about 4-1/2 hours to do it. We set things up almost the same way Earl's Carden Extra 330Sc is, which is on the mild side with 15 degrees of elevator & aileron and 20 degrees of rudder on low rates. Medium & high rates are 10 degrees and 20 degrees higher, respectively. Earl doesn't fly with exponential, so there isn't any in my program. Depending on how it flies, I may add a little after I fly it a time or two. When the programming was finished, I got smart and copied the program onto my SD card and I will copy the program into my backup transmitter and the SD card in that one as well, so it will be in 4 different locations. At this moment, the re-maiden flight is scheduled for tomorrow morning, if the wind stays down. With the little amount of time I've had to fly this year, I am going to let Earl do the first flight as well.

If everything goes as expected tomorrow, this will be my last post in this thread. My next post will be in the I'm going flying 2020 thread. After tomorrow, I will be going to work on my Laser so I can get it in the air as my H9 260 is grounded until it's stripped and recovered.

I'd like to thank everyone for following along and giving me all the great advise. I really appreciate it. . . . :yesss:.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well fellas,

Gosh, it's crazy how fast time goes these days. It's hard to believe I haven't posted anything in this thread since February. With winter time, work and life occupying my time, I STILL haven't had a chance to fly my Yak. . . . . :(. I also had something strange happen with my radio and I somehow lost the program I had in it for the Yak. So I went to my friends house yesterday morning and we set up everything in the radio again. It took us about 4-1/2 hours to do it. We set things up almost the same way Earl's Carden Extra 330Sc is, which is on the mild side with 15 degrees of elevator & aileron and 20 degrees of rudder on low rates. Medium & high rates are 10 degrees and 20 degrees higher, respectively. Earl doesn't fly with exponential, so there isn't any in my program. Depending on how it flies, I may add a little after I fly it a time or two. When the programming was finished, I got smart and copied the program onto my SD card and I will copy the program into my backup transmitter and the SD card in that one as well, so it will be in 4 different locations. At this moment, the re-maiden flight is scheduled for tomorrow morning, if the wind stays down. With the little amount of time I've had to fly this year, I am going to let Earl do the first flight as well.

If everything goes as expected tomorrow, this will be my last post in this thread. My next post will be in the I'm going flying 2020 thread. After tomorrow, I will be going to work on my Laser so I can get it in the air as my H9 260 is grounded until it's stripped and recovered.

I'd like to thank everyone for following along and giving me all the great advise. I really appreciate it. . . . :yesss:.
Hope everything goes well good luck and enjoy the plane.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Gosh, it's crazy how fast time goes these days. It's hard to believe I haven't posted anything in this thread since February. With winter time, work and life occupying my time, I STILL haven't had a chance to fly my Yak. . . . . :(.

You're not the only one! For JUNE there seems to be a lack of people contributing to the I went flying 2020 thread.