• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Covering???

tylerzx9r

100cc
I find that a cool temp setting... heat that will tack down an over lay gently enable some rework and some wood pecker prep to be the key. Two irons are critical. Cool iron tack and position to lay flat, then the second hotter iron to finalize the placement. NO RUBBING. You are not ironing a shirt. Place heat and move on. Resist sliding contact.

I F love to cover. You see your plane develop in front of you!
That is a good hint/ trick, I will get another Iron just for that purpose!

How about this - my friend Ron Storer (RIP) used to cover with base color Ultra and then shoot paint for all the secondary color and trim work. Results were great! Anybody else tried that?

Daytonarc

70cc twin V2
I could REALLY use the fool proof solution as I am getting ready to lay some rather large pieces of ultracote over ultracote to finish a rebuild/recover of a 3DHS 103" Extra 330SC.
If I could figure out how to send a PM I could help. send me a PM with email info and and I will reply.

I do know the answer but thanks to the EPA one of my required materials is no longer available. Currently testing other solutions with good results.

But since Terry has raised the bar with the vaccuum bagging thread I don't want to post a thread until all issues have been tested and proven.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
If I could figure out how to send a PM I could help. send me a PM with email info and and I will reply.

I do know the answer but thanks to the EPA one of my required materials is no longer available. Currently testing other solutions with good results.

But since Terry has raised the bar with the vaccuum bagging thread I don't want to post a thread until all issues have been tested and proven.
To start a "PM" conversation, just click on the members name and in the popup box there is the option to start a conversation. That is the PM system on this site.

Another great tool to have is a woodpecker to pierce rows of tiny holes in the covering over which you're gonna put another layer. I've used this quite a bit and it really helps buy letting the air go thru instead of getting trapped between the layers.

would you use it on covering over open span

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
would you use it on covering over open span
Yes...I had to on my old Extra's wings. Where I laid the green over the white on the aileron and also a bit on the open bays of the wing where the green and red create the white stripe between them. just make sure your base covering is nice and tight....and sharpen the points on the blades of the woodpecker. As Terry mention, mark of where you overlays are going and then woodpecker, leaving about 3/8 - 1/2" border "un-peckered" :oblong:.
DSC03155LR - flipped.jpg
This covering job held up very well thru 4 seasons and never had any issues with it lifting. Occasional wrinkles were easily removed with the heat gun and rag. Even where two colors were laid.