• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Dalton Yak 54, 38% please submit suggestions here....

the hinge lines have been drawn..
before beveling, need to 1st glue in the hard points, then mark the hinge point locations, then drill out the holes for the hinges, then the beveling-sanding can begin. Be sure to wear a respirator/face mask, that balsa dust is nasty!!

IMG_8164.JPG
IMG_8165.JPG

here is how I make the hard points....
IMG_8166.JPG

sort of like a sandwich. there is 1/16th plywood, then there are 3/4" wide balsa stock, the central one is 1/4" thick, the outer sides are 1/2" thick. I use the horn as a gauge, then glue in using CA glue.
IMG_8167.JPG

I will be making more than plenty, better to have left over than not enough... this is now glued on one laminate side only. still not ready to glue on other side.

IMG_8168.JPG

Now, the exposed side is sanded smooth, now it is ready to glue on the last laminate.
IMG_8169.JPG

just checking again that the thickness is appropriate...

IMG_8170.JPG

here is the final product, still needs some final sanding. I will do this when i get home from work today. Then I will cut these and glue them in.

IMG_8171.JPG

I do not know if you can picture this, but this is how the horn fits in. This will get glued into the foam and the LE of the elevator/aileron. IT will have a larger surface area to glue to balsa LE compared to foam with a round hard point.
IMG_8172.JPG

Getting ready to finish off the rudder. The SWB control horn will be glued on next, then to cap the top and bottom, glue in hard point for steering, tiller arm set up. Then glue in the LE of the rudder, then drill holes for the hinge points, and final is beveling.
IMG_8199.JPG
IMG_8200.JPG
IMG_8201.JPG
IMG_8202.JPG
IMG_8203.JPG
IMG_8204.JPG

the Fin is on true and solid! I decided to proceed and glue on the fairings. I used 3/32 thick balsa. Just a bit thicker than recommended, in that, this is an area that potentially can get grabbed, and would hate to hear that sound!! You know the one! With this thickness, it is solid, now, waiting for it all to dry, then i can sand it smooth. The wood filler is in as well!

IMG_8206.JPG
IMG_8207.JPG
IMG_8208.JPG
IMG_8209.JPG
IMG_8210.JPG

Almost done with the rudder.... just need to cut the bottom rear corner and make it round, then glue on the bottom cap and hard point!! WHEW!! lots of sanding.

IMG_8211.JPG
IMG_8212.JPG