• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Dietrich 42% Slick rebuild.

-Rick-

100cc
Thanks guys!

From all I have read and learned about this thing, the things I need to fix are...

Covering, china coat, rip it off!
Motor box, its weak, beef it up. I plan on rebuilding the motor box anyways as its had a few different motors mounted. It is a mess.
Rudder post, easy to come loose, when I got the plane it was loose already. Easy to fix and support.
Wings breaking, tube not tight in foam, not glued in properly. Also wings not supported past the wing tube, known to break 2/3 of way out in a snap roll. Need to put in some kind of a spar(s) past the tube.
Engine cooling, when I get to that point I'll be talking to you guys!

Anything I'm missing!?!?

-Rick-

100cc
Getting the residue removed from the fuse, tried a bunch of different ways. Found that heat and packing tape worked best.

Heat a small area up with a heat gun, put some packing tape on it, rub the tape down and pull! It takes alot of time to strip a fuse!!!

Attachments

• DSCF0480.JPG
    DSCF0480.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 413
  • DSCF0475.JPG
    DSCF0475.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 406
  • DSCF0476.JPG
    DSCF0476.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 409
  • DSCF0477.JPG
    DSCF0477.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 450
  • DSCF0478.JPG
    DSCF0478.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 449
  • DSCF0479.JPG
    DSCF0479.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 390

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey Rick, mind if I make a suggestion that may help you? I have found that if you heat your covering as you are lifting it off the airframe, it will usually come off with little to no residue. I don't know if you tried that but if you still have your wings, stabs and such to do, you might give it a try. I used to do just as you are doing.... Just made me so frustrated until I tried the trick I mentioned. After that, heck...it will nearly came off in the same sheets it went down with. I did a complete recover of my SD Extra 260 this way and every bit of the covering came off with no problem. Hope that is helpful to you.

-Rick-

100cc
Hey Rick, mind if I make a suggestion that may help you? I have found that if you heat your covering as you are lifting it off the airframe, it will usually come off with little to no residue. I don't know if you tried that but if you still have your wings, stabs and such to do, you might give it a try. I used to do just as you are doing.... Just made me so frustrated until I tried the trick I mentioned. After that, heck...it will nearly came off in the same sheets it went down with. I did a complete recover of my SD Extra 260 this way and every bit of the covering came off with no problem. Hope that is helpful to you.

Ya Stang, would you believe that WAS the way I was removing the covering! Using my heat gun getting it really warm and it still came off like that. I think because the covering was so old or that it was cheap covering I couldn't win. Thanks tho!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ya Stang, would you believe that WAS the way I was removing the covering! Using my heat gun getting it really warm and it still came off like that. I think because the covering was so old or that it was cheap covering I couldn't win. Thanks tho!
Wow! Bummer. That must be some really "OLD TIRED CHEAP" covering. LOL.... Was worth a shot huh?

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
I found if you iron down a piece of scrap covering over the residue and then peel it off it will grab alot of the residue as well. Whats lefter over after that I usually wipe off with some monokote trim solvent and then it will wipe right off.

The best way though is what stang mentioned, take your time pulling it off with a heat gun and there is very little left after that.

-Rick-

100cc
4 cyl, I wish. I mean I really wish:sorry:.

Covering, monocote, all I ever use.

I use that :steamer: on everything!!!