• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Does a tuned pipe reduce noise?

njswede

150cc
I have an Aerobeez 88" Slick with a DA50. I would call the power "just enough" for that plane and I can't afford to lose any horse powers. We're trying to reduce the noise at our field, so I'm thinking of replacing my REALLY LOUD single pipe side dump with something a little less noisy.

My question is simple: Can I expect any noise reduction from a tuned pipe? The extra power would be a nice bonus. Does anyone have any data on noise levels of pipes vs. side dumps?

O

Ohio AV8TOR

Pontus please send a PM to Jeff Williams over on RCG, here is a link of his DA 50 in anEF MXS with a ES Composites tuned pipe. It sound pretty good but you will have to ask him about power. This video may show the power better as it is flown by Jase but you can't really hear the sound of the motor over the music much.

njswede

150cc
Amazing, it made the engine sound like Christian rock! :) I'll PM Jeff and see what he says. Thanks a lot! Much appreciated!

2robinhood

70cc twin V2
Yes tuned pipe are quite.

On a 50cc engine you may not have the issue, but on larger engines the increase in rpm's useally make the prop rip ( tips go super sonic ).

My piped 170 swings a 32" prop @ 6500 on the ground and needs to be throttle managed in the air, she'll bark very, very loud.

Patroller

70cc twin V2
I have a DA120 with RE2's. It is the noisiest plane at my field by a large margin. Definitely louder than my VVRC 40 twin. I used to think it was just the tuned pipe, but now I think it might be the prop. I have a Vess Carbon Stealth 28b. I have read a lot of people lately that complain about that prop. I think I am going to try a Mej and see if it is any better.

Seen quite a few of the ES pipes run. They really do quiet things down, end up with more prop noise than anything. they also make a bit more power and have a nice power band. AND they don't really add much weight at all.

jaybird

70cc twin V2
Patroller;6490 wrote: I have a DA120 with RE2's. It is the noisiest plane at my field by a large margin. Definitely louder than my VVRC 40 twin. I used to think it was just the tuned pipe, but now I think it might be the prop. I have a Vess Carbon Stealth 28b. I have read a lot of people lately that complain about that prop. I think I am going to try a Mej and see if it is any better.

No doubt it's the prop. A Vess gets LOUD!

Patroller

70cc twin V2
Yea! I think I am convinced of that right now. Funny thing is I remember asking about it before ordering the carbon Vess. I remember a few people with high praise of the prop with little mention of the noise. I think I am going to try the Mej 29 x10S. I am not looking for a speed setup. Stable slow 3D and sport flying for me right now. Hopefully DA has them in stock next week.

Good choice - you will like it. That prop pulls my Carden edge with a DA 120 steady out of sight on a vertical upline yet has good downline braking. If you exercise good throttle management on the horizontal line you will have a quiet plane!

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I've run two different DA50's with KS 1060 tuned pipes. I ran both Mejzlik and Falcon carbon fiber 23 X 8 props. The pipes added about 300rpm and they were fairly quiet.