• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Dual Gas Tanks

mndless

Don't know a thing..
Still working on the 42% PAU Extra....

Am trying to move the gas tank a little further back and over the wing tube. The tank that comes with the kit doesn't fit for this location... have looked at several options and not finding what I want...

So, now am thinking about installing two smaller tanks plumbed in series.

Does anyone have experience with installing twin tanks in series or other advice on this???

Thanks!!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Still working on the 42% PAU Extra....

Am trying to move the gas tank a little further back and over the wing tube. The tank that comes with the kit doesn't fit for this location... have looked at several options and not finding what I want...

So, now am thinking about installing two smaller tanks plumbed in series.

Does anyone have experience with installing twin tanks in series or other advice on this???

Thanks!!
Ugh.... I can not remember, but there was a thread on "that" other site.... where a gent did what you are looking to do. I think he used a header tank in conjunction with another tank. Just curious if you have looked at the Dubro tanks. I have been using them for pretty much everything. It seems they have just the right design and fit for most everything. My son is building his 43% PAU Edge right now. He is using a 60 ounce in front of the tube for gas. And a 50 ounce for the smoke behind the tube. He is doing all professionally bent brass tubing throughout the airframe. Dubro makes darned nice tanks.

Spats

100cc
Fortitude Tanks has pictures of how to do it. Sorry don't have a link right now but it's easy. Just " T " together the fuel lines going to the carb, overflow and DOT. I have done several this way.

CEThomas

50cc
I have done it a couple times in areas where I was limited in space and as header tanks on Helis works fine. Just run a line from the vent on tank #1 to the pick-up line on tank #2. Then your airframe vent line goes to the vent on Tank #2 and the line going to the engine hooks up the the pickup on Tank #1.

mndless

Don't know a thing..
I have done it a couple times in areas where I was limited in space and as header tanks on Helis works fine. Just run a line from the vent on tank #1 to the pick-up line on tank #2. Then your airframe vent line goes to the vent on Tank #2 and the line going to the engine hooks up the the pickup on Tank #1.

That is what I was reading... the plumbing installed in series vs in parallel... primarily running the issue up the flag pole to see if anyone has had good success with this approach...

Thanks all for the input !

CEThomas

50cc
That is what I was reading... the plumbing installed in series vs in parallel... primarily running the issue up the flag pole to see if anyone has had good success with this approach...

Thanks all for the input !

Very reliable set up. Used it in the Heli's to keep the carb settings from changing and help keep a more constant head speed.

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
Doing this since 2013, first I was skeptic but when I flew with it it gave me a whole different perspective about dual fuel tank.
Since that day this is the setup I've been using.
The key here is to conect them in PARALLEL.
I'm flying with MVVS 175, so the 50 oz was never taken in consideration, the 2 x 32 oz 4Titude fuel tank, solved the problem, now with 64 oz of fuel, the plane needs to beg me to land...

Pros, 64 oz of fuel, more than 16 min of flying IMAC.
The fuel is not bashing the tank walls, in big tanks it can be a problem, you need sections like in trucks.
2 tanks, 200%
Flexibility in the installing process, narrow places, you can split the tanks.
2 small tanks keeps less empty space when the fuel is drained

Cons, weight
Everything is doubled, hoses, T pins etc...
When you fill the tanks, one is always getting full first, unless you pinch it to let the other one be fueled to the top (about 2-4 oz of gap)

I see the pictures and miss ya'all Bryan !

IMG_5994.JPG IMG_6081.JPG IMG_6084.JPG IMG_6085.JPG 994472_712447012125808_2921182622917614729_n.jpg 10626587_712447145459128_5561317983865476897_n.jpg 10629593_712447258792450_1746151568855429480_n.jpg 10635840_712447038792472_4355806231411435866_n.jpg

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Nice setup Taz. Question..do you not need to vent to outside atmosphere with that setup? I mean, ya gotta have a vent somewhere right? Or am I just not seeing your vent line?