• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D EMHW 2.15 Ultimate

Glued the cabanes together with expoxy.

Mounted the cowl. Made little Walnut blocks with 4-40 thread inserts for plastic. The wood versions are visible in a few pictures, but there wasn't anyway I could think of to get them into hardwood without destroying the wood, hardware or both. They sort of seem absurdly large for 4-40 hardware. So after a few failed attempts ordered the thread inserts meant for plastic.

These worked perfectly. Wet the inside of the hole with a touch of epoxy then tapped them in and threaded a bolt through to tighten them up. They hold great and the thread fit is really tight so the bolts won't back out under vibration.

Mounted the engine and installed the cowl using the included spinner as a guide. The reamer worked really well to cut holes in the fiberglass.

Attachments

• IMG_1183.JPG
    IMG_1183.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 606
  • IMG_1188.JPG
    IMG_1188.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_1189.JPG
    IMG_1189.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_1190.JPG
    IMG_1190.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_1191.JPG
    IMG_1191.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_1192.JPG
    IMG_1192.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_1194.JPG
    IMG_1194.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 643
  • IMG_1195.JPG
    IMG_1195.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_1198.JPG
    IMG_1198.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 586
  • IMG_1199.JPG
    IMG_1199.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 547
Against the advice of friends and family I've decided to dance with the rainbow devil and try my hand at monokote.

It's so shiny!! Slightly less reflective than the mirror :big-grin:

Made a skin by overlapping two pieces by about 10mm on glass with windex and after squeegeeing the windex out (or away from the seem) I hit it with the iron set to 250F. Sanded the rudder to 1000 grit.

Attachments

• IMG_1221.JPG
    IMG_1221.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 560
  • IMG_1222.JPG
    IMG_1222.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_1223.JPG
    IMG_1223.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG_1224.JPG
    IMG_1224.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 547

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Against the advice of friends and family I've decided to dance with the rainbow devil and try my hand at monokote.

It's so shiny!! Slightly less reflective than the mirror :big-grin:

Made a skin by overlapping two pieces by about 10mm on glass with windex and after squeegeeing the windex out (or away from the seem) I hit it with the iron set to 250F. Sanded the rudder to 1000 grit.

Brave soul, you may have what it takes though......patients. A trait I don't have a lot of.

It's going to take quite a bit of patients at the rate I can cover. Think that rudder took about 4 hours. I'll get the hang of it though. Learning to stretch/shrink around the curves will take some practice.

You're not alone, but you might be better off alone than associated with me. I prefer mono to ultra. I'm no master by any means, but I can do things with mono that just don't happen for me with ultracote. I think most people are afraid of enough heat and how hard to pull. Monokote seems to stretch much better than ultracote. I can never get ultracote to not wrinkle, and just when it gets as tight as I want it, the glue lets loose. Rudder looks sweet. Nothing like nice, simple lines to learn how to cover with!

You're not alone, but you might be better off alone than associated with me. I prefer mono to ultra. I'm no master by any means, but I can do things with mono that just don't happen for me with ultracote. I think most people are afraid of enough heat and how hard to pull. Monokote seems to stretch much better than ultracote. I can never get ultracote to not wrinkle, and just when it gets as tight as I want it, the glue lets loose. Rudder looks sweet. Nothing like nice, simple lines to learn how to cover with!

It needs heat. Do you use a heat gun for stretching around curves? I was using the iron turned all the way up.

Yep, it really likes heat, so don't be afraid to use it. For stretching, it really depends on what I'm working on. Small areas, like corners, I use the iron and it's a lot of stretching, tack it down, stretch some more. I will usually have a piece put on without any wrinkles even before shrinking it down. For large areas, I well use the heat gun. I have done a couple of cowls this way, all one piece. I'm really not a pro at it, but I'm getting better, maybe.