• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight Owners Thread

djmoose

70cc twin V2
Probably 12s 3000 with a castle creations 120hv and kde direct 700xf motor not to sure if the airframe would handle it. It's just an idea I had

Also, that motor is 353g heavier then the torque 500. You'd have a hard time getting a good CG as well. You'd also probably blow the HV120 since 10000 watts on 12S would be around 219A! (that with using 3.8V per cell...that 219 could go down a bit if you used really nice packs)

Cool idea though, it never hurts to think big!

Feral

Dj use ing that calculator you used to get the amps for 10000w what do you get for 7000w? Just throwing it out there

Feral

Haha gyro you hit the nail on the heads there BUT a mate of a mate builds custom esc's 1-24s 400a anything is possible

djmoose

70cc twin V2
Dj use ing that calculator you used to get the amps for 10000w what do you get for 7000w? Just throwing it out there

It's not a calculator, just some formulas. All you do is Amps * Volts = Watts

Say you have 14S...you just multiply an average voltage under load (I used 3.8) by 14 to get total volts and just divide your watts by that result.

Example: 14 * 3.8 = 53.2
7000 / 53.2 = ~131A

Now, remember, you're going to have to find a prop with that motor that will actually pull that many Amps to get 7000 watts.

The other thing that won't work is that you're not going to find one of those motors with a KV low enough for an airplane on even 12S. (the lowest KDE 700 motor is wound at 295 which is way too high for 12S)

For 14S you'd want a KV of around 125-130
For 20S you'd want a KV of around 95-100

(the above numbers are based on wanting a WOT RPM of around 6800-7000..which is good for 3D use...so if you're looking for a racer, then it's a whole different story.)

djmoose

70cc twin V2
I was just throwing it out there dj I was being a bit silly thanks for you input thow mate

Please don't take what I've said as putting you down at all...Ideas are great and it's always cool to think outside of the box. I was just trying to help you save some time and money. There is a lot of planning that goes into the power systems that Extreme Flight suggests for their models. The two main things are the fact that you really only need a 2 to 1 power/weight ratio....and a motor that is sized to balance the plane correctly.

Don't get me wrong, more power can be great!! It just takes some planning to make sure everything makes sense. Also, for safety reasons. A direct shock of anything over 14S DC can kill you. (which is a BIG reason you're not going to see a lot of companies ever come out with 14S+ ESCs....they don't want that liability.)

Feral

All good moose no offense taken thanks for the input:) anyone looking for esc's for 14s needs to have a look into the heli world most manufacturers are brining out 800 class machines that run 14s all day long yge and kontronic have them at the moment

Feral

Racer now you have my thinking moose 70" EF extra or vanquish with a 12x12 prop 295kv on 10-12s that thing would sing