• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight Owners Thread

hone

150cc
Well this is my first gas engine but i'm using 30-1 fuel to oil mix and will run it that way for about 4 gallons. Then i'll switch to a full synthetic oil and a 40-1 mix. Some manufactures recommend a break in prop(usually a little smaller than the normal flight prop)but the EME said to break it in with your normal flight prop. I've got a lot to learn but my buddy is spitting the knowledge out at me left and right so i should get the hang of it soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Feral

Nice we had a batch of eme engines sent over here that gave up the ghost pretty quick and now cop a bad rap but you blokes say nothing but good things about them I think I'll track one down for my next project

hone

150cc
Still needs more tuning and this is only the 3rd time running the engine. There is some burbling that should go away as i lean it out but it runs great and has lots of power. This is with a 19x8 xoar but i'll be trying a vess 20b next weekend. [video=youtube;Jrn6Z43M_t0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jrn6Z43M_t0[/video]

wedoitall

doesnt sound too bad for as rich as its running. i have quit abit experience with gas just not planes. i want a gasser pretty bad. i usually run full syn after break-in.

seems you are you pretty excited about running gas. i know i would be.

looks like a really nice flyin spot.

Bigroger

70cc twin V2
Nice one Joe.

Sounds like its really running plenty of rpm.

Have you put a tacho on it yet?

What's your take on the lipos for Rx.

I'm thinking through my setup for the 91" now and DA Aus really push back hard about using lipos for Rx and IBEC setups. But that would have to be about the lightest way to go, plus us electric guys are used to handling and dealing with lipos right?

hone

150cc
No tach yet.

I'm really comfortable with lipos from my electrics so i went that route. After three 8 minute flights i was down to 7.6v but i was hitting 7.4-7.3 in the air just before landing on the last flight. I don't see the problem since all my servos including throttle are HV. I haven't done enough research on a123s or whatever they are. I'm using a wolverine switch with 2 x 2s 1300s so if one fails i'm still OK. Some people have problems with IBECs and others say they've ran them for years without a single issue. I also went with my setup because my buddy who was talking in the video has set up 3 50cc planes with a IBEC and 2 batteries(i don't think he used lipos but he is setting up his next plane with lipos).

This guys setup is over kill but i like the setup [video=youtube;ukRxsfhDbzk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukRxsfhDbzk[/video]

Mines like that but just one RX, lipos instead of lions, and no regulator. I like that i can charge my packs through the switch but i take them out and quick charge them.

hone

150cc
@rodger why use Lipos? I'm looking at A123s.....

Since you're not lazy and are probably doing your research(unlike me :p)...why a123?

Not trying to be rude, i really want to know. I wouldn't mind switching if there is good reason since i only have a few batteries at the moment. I went with lipos since that's what i know. People use small 2s packs in their small electrics all the time so i figured it'd work in the bigger planes too.

I think either way, as long as you have some kind of redundancy you'll be fine.

Since you're not lazy and are probably doing your research(unlike me :p)...why a123?

Not trying to be rude, i really want to know. I wouldn't mind switching if there is good reason since i only have a few batteries at the moment. I went with lipos since that's what i know. People use small 2s packs in their small electrics all the time so i figured it'd work in the bigger planes too.
They're crazy durable, I case you over discharge, no voltage sag, and they don't go up in flames if you crash :) fast charge too! :)

Feral

Nice one Joe.

Sounds like its really running plenty of rpm.

Have you put a tacho on it yet?

What's your take on the lipos for Rx.

I'm thinking through my setup for the 91" now and DA Aus really push back hard about using lipos for Rx and IBEC setups. But that would have to be about the lightest way to go, plus us electric guys are used to handling and dealing with lipos right?

Give ol mate at DLengines Aus a call he sells the ibec's and swears by them. I just ordered a DX18QQ with the power box rx and I'll be using an ibec on my next gassa