• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Favorite RC Magazine?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
None of them. There isn't such a thing as an objective review in a magazine anymore, any reviews are generally paid advertisers and they don't want to risk offending them. Every review of every plane I get seems like it's more concerned with "it only took two clicks of trim!" type of statements, and they always say that everything flies great. Then you buy the plane and discover it has a wicked snap/stall tendency, wing rocks like crazy in a harrier, and generally just doesn't fly very well except in straight and level flight. And then I get disgusted. I let all subscriptions I had expire several years ago and have no intention of renewing them ever. I would love to see a magazine that was actually written objectively and called out poor products. But alas it would go bankrupt since advertisers would probably never again give them money.
I Completely agree with you. Will not renew any of my subscription as they end. The main reason is the paid reviews.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Hah! Even the forums are filled with adds, just part of any facet in life. But that is also why I don't subscribe to anything, watch TV, or even listen to radio. Although the wife's car has that XM radio and many channels do not have commercials, if or when I get a new truck....

I do have to say GSN has probably the least adds of any forum.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
None of them. There isn't such a thing as an objective review in a magazine anymore, any reviews are generally paid advertisers and they don't want to risk offending them. Every review of every plane I get seems like it's more concerned with "it only took two clicks of trim!" type of statements, and they always say that everything flies great. I would love to see a magazine that was actually written objectively and called out poor products. But alas it would go bankrupt since advertisers would probably never again give them money.

a conundrum because either way they will go bankrupt.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I'm generation X so if there's anyone that doesn't like ads, it's me which makes me wonder how I ended up here hosting the site and selling, of all things, freakin' ads!

but if you want a nicely run site, and if the vendors want a nice civil community within which to promote their products, then there have to be ads because we need people to sacrifice their personal/hobby/family time and in exchange for that there has to be some income. i've been running GSN at a loss for the last two years but we're still here and I'm hoping improving traffic will get more advertisers interested. if that happens you'll see more ads but be sure nobody's getting rich, it's more like breaking even with a little extra maybe each month. we're not there yet but that's the goal so, in our case, more ads will mean a better and more permanent site.

i hope everyone can understand that.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I, for one fully understand what you're saying @Bartman. I may be in the minority in my thinking, but I would gladly pay a small yearly fee to be a member of this AWESOME site you have. It's like I've said before, I've been a member of RCSB for years and my yearly fee is insignificant when you hold it up against all the enjoyment I've received and all the awesome people I have become friends with while I have been on the site. The same holds true for GSN.

era-fia

New to GSN!
I'm not much of a poster, but have been subscribing to RCSB for several years. I like this site and would pay here also for good honest information. I do love music without advertising.:star:

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I've been operating under the principle that we already pay enough for the products we are using and that a community like this helps modelers while also helping vendors/manufacturers. Since it's a benefit for vendors and manufacturers to have a site such as this available for them to present their goods and services, they should be the ones supporting it. We do have a "User Upgrade" available but I only did that after multiple people persuaded me to do so.

If all of you would make it a point to buy from the vendors that advertise and support the site you wouldn't have to pay for a user upgrade as we'd have more advertisers. But when you see vendors coming here and posting their specials without ever really participating and without having a banner then I'd suggest you not buy from them, they're basically freeloading.

Now, to be fair, we haven't been super busy here and that's partly my fault so I haven't been enforcing any kind of a posting limit for non-advertising vendors but that's changing and we'll begin to see the fruits of that effort in due time. In the meantime, do what you need to do but please keep in mind that there are vendors that support the hobby and vendors that simply try to profit from it. I ask you support the ones that participate in good faith and please let them know when you buy that you appreciate their participation and support.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
I'm not much of a poster, but have been subscribing to RCSB for several years. I like this site and would pay here also for good honest information. I do love music without advertising.:star:
I've considered making membership subject to a yearly fee in the range of $5 to $10 but if we lose a lot of people then we'd be worse off than when we started. But with a fee we'd have zero advertising and if you think something sucks you can say you think it sucks, nobody would be protected from the truth.

It's a difficult decision to make and it's not something I'm prepared to do just yet.