• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Fiber Optic servo extension

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok, I was correct, noted by your post. I now understand the system with one exception, under normal conditions the servos and Rx has to have a common ground for the signal to operate, how do the encoders eliminate this need?

Ok, I was correct, noted by your post. I now understand the system with one exception, under normal conditions the servos and Rx has to have a common ground for the signal to operate, how do the encoders eliminate this need?
No the servos and receiver do not have common ground the connection from the receiver to the decoder/servos is a plastic fiber optic cable , no wires whatsoever

To power the decoder/servos, you have the servo battery the large one. So the only thing as I said between decoder/servo and receiver is a light beam

If I understand correctly the black line from the batteries is representing positive and negative. The Rx is powered by the center battery and the servos by the outer batteries. The red line from Rx is signal only and the green power to decoder is representing positive and negative. So the servos are powered by the outer batteries via the decoder system, Rx signal via the decoder system, the Rx has no power exiting leaving no path for RF to enter.
The red line from the receiver has the signal and power from the receiver to the encoder since it has to have power, Other wise you are correct, no path for any RF to enter

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
AHHHH! So the encoder is where the common ground is eliminated by way of converting the signal to light and the decoder is where the light is returned to a signal in line with the other batteries power. Nice, real nice!!!
Actually, that is pretty freakin awesome......

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!

Like all Power Expander systems, i.e., Smart Fly...only signal from the rx. is sent to the servos. The power expander supplies positive-negative applied voltage to each servo. I believe I fully understand Roger's system now. In essence, a very elaborate power distribution system. I have been planning a 55% Yak or 60% 260 for the Spring of '18. I may be seriously considering this system for that project. It is precisely what I have been looking for. I really hated the idea of mile long extension leads or individual rx's and batteries for separate quadrants of the airframe.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
And after thinking about it, it is not going to be anything more than what we already install in big birds. We use multiple batteries so nothing more there and an extension would be replaced by the decoder/encoder so basically nothing extra. With exception to the loss of a chance of interference....

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
b
Like all Power Expander systems, i.e., Smart Fly...only signal from the rx. is sent to the servos. The power expander supplies positive-negative applied voltage to each servo. I believe I fully understand Roger's system now. In essence, a very elaborate power distribution system. I have been planning a 55% Yak or 60% 260 for the Spring of '18. I may be seriously considering this system for that project. It is precisely what I have been looking for. I really hated the idea of mile long extension leads or individual rx's and batteries for separate quadrants of the airframe.
That's not true, the Rx is powered by the board, only the servo power load is not going through the Rx, the Rx is still connected to the same system and subject to noise. Most power boards offer protection from something on the servo end but nothing on the signal side. Rogers system eliminates any possibility of RF in the system, it does not offer power distribution and control other than separating Rx power from component power. If a servo dumps it will still drain the battery, it's not being cut off via a power board.

Last edited:

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Now put a power distribution board where his photo depicts a buss and one would have the ultimate in power/ Rx protection.

Of course these are my thoughts and I could be totally wrong, it has happened before.

Now put a power distribution board where his photo depicts a buss and one would have the ultimate in power/ Rx protection.

Of course these are my thoughts and I could be totally wrong, it has happened before.
exactly, the pretection in all respect, any servos goes belly up, not to worry it can't feed back to the receiver