• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Fibertech Hyperlite Slick 540 Build Thread

Spats

100cc
Downdraft sanding makes sanding much more pleasurable for sure! Here are a few pics of mine. I built one similar to what you are looking at once and what I found was that all of the suction is focused mainly directly over the hoses with very little suction in the corners. Even if you can have one large hole down low and a V-shaped panel on the inside you will get suction from corner to corner evenly. Mine uses 2" furnace filters with paint booth pre-filters. The pre-filters do a great job of catching the big stuff for easier cleaning.

Very nice. I made a sanding table years ago when we had to build everything and I had the problems you describe.

Bipenut

70cc twin V2
Thanks, Bench kit legs are awesome. My old bench was just getting old and probably sagging although I could not see it so I did not want to risk a build on it.

When I was exchanging emails while ordering it he mentioned how he change the kit a bit. I forgot about that and was stumped at first but then figured it all out. Even how the landing gear mounts is different. The motor box bottom is completely changed. Looking at yours and mine I think mine may have been easier to build so that might be one reason he changed it. He has not updated his instructions yet so anyone starting a build take note of all this.

Tubes arrived in two days from JTEC and as you mentioned they are just a red hair smaller so a little glass will work just fine to snug it up.

Okay, I forgot he was going to make some changes. I'm glad you got the tubes, keep adding pictures as you go. My build is going to slow down now, I'm a part time welding instructor at a local college and I start teaching tomorrow night two times a week for the next eight weeks.

Bipenut

70cc twin V2
Downdraft sanding makes sanding much more pleasurable for sure! Here are a few pics of mine. I built one similar to what you are looking at once and what I found was that all of the suction is focused mainly directly over the hoses with very little suction in the corners. Even if you can have one large hole down low and a V-shaped panel on the inside you will get suction from corner to corner evenly. Mine uses 2" furnace filters with paint booth pre-filters. The pre-filters do a great job of catching the big stuff for easier cleaning.

Thanks for posting the pictures. I thought about doing the larger hole in the middle and doing a V-shape down to it, so by doing it that way you are able to gets suction in the corners?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks for posting the pictures. I thought about doing the larger hole in the middle and doing a V-shape down to it, so by doing it that way you are able to gets suction in the corners?

Yes, you get the same overall CFM but it distributes it out evenly. Also keep the amount of ductwork to a minimum because that slows down the airflow dramatically. Mine has no ductwork at all, the fan just blows straight down at the floor and there is a shield on one side to keep the air from blowing right at your feet.

Bipenut

70cc twin V2
Yes, you get the same overall CFM but it distributes it out evenly. Also keep the amount of ductwork to a minimum because that slows down the airflow dramatically. Mine has no ductwork at all, the fan just blows straight down at the floor and there is a shield on one side to keep the air from blowing right at your feet.
Thanks for the input, I'm going to redesign it.

Spats

100cc
I'll throw up some little progress and very little it is. Found a nail in one of my trailer tires so that has consumed my time.
I framed the sides and completed most of the engine box. Tomorrow I will start the attachment of the sides.

It's been a real joy to get back to building. I think to many have missed out on the roots of the hobby. It is such a reward to go from sticks to flying my own creation. My first build was a Q TEE .049 I learned so much about building and flying aerodynamics at 9 years old.

Thanks for letting me jump on the thread until you get back on the build. GSN probably doesn't need another build on the same plane.

Attachments

• 20150113_161554.jpg
    20150113_161554.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 240
  • 20150113_163704.jpg
    20150113_163704.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 199
  • 20150113_164606.jpg
    20150113_164606.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 230
  • 20150113_165425.jpg
    20150113_165425.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 253

Fibertech

70cc twin V2
What Terry said...don't be silly...That’s a big reason we come to GSN...I have been a plane builder since I was around 8 and know soon to be 52. I still find new ways to do things from others. I know Terry feels the same as me and a lot of others. The RC community has lost a big part of what other enjoyment can be had from being a RC enthusiast. I know a lot of excuses are time but you can glue a part together each time you walk by the build table.
So again don’t be silly we love it and a big thanks for posting.

Bipenut

70cc twin V2
I'll throw up some little progress and very little it is. Found a nail in one of my trailer tires so that has consumed my time.
I framed the sides and completed most of the engine box. Tomorrow I will start the attachment of the sides.

It's been a real joy to get back to building. I think to many have missed out on the roots of the hobby. It is such a reward to go from sticks to flying my own creation. My first build was a Q TEE .049 I learned so much about building and flying aerodynamics at 9 years old.

Thanks for letting me jump on the thread until you get back on the build. GSN probably doesn't need another build on the same plane.

Looking good, and this plane is a pleasure to build. You can keep posting all you want on this thread, doesn't bother me at all.