• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D H9 1/3 Cap 232 - Blast from the past!!!

TFPU (thanks for posting up)

Love this thread, brings back great old memories. I have some torque roll videos with it from 2001, pretty embarrassing to watch. haha The H9 Cap was my first real plane and my first DA engine. I loved it, and it occurs to me lately that H9 has been making great planes all along. Anyway, I was really new to model planes and also excited to be flying all the time, not assembling! I didn't want to wait to have some standoffs made so I made a standoff out of plywood like you did. I bought a drum sander and sanded it down pretty thin. It held up great with a lot less vibration than standoffs. :)

first cut, was in a hurry to go fly!
View attachment 37350

Then, I took it off and sanded it down pretty good:

View attachment 37351

That was also the first time I thought to cover the motorbox:

View attachment 37352

Eventually I sold it to my buddy who used to bring it to the field in his corvette. haha

View attachment 37353

OMG, I transport mine in a trailer, I can't believe he got it into a corvette. It's an awesome plane, I'm starting to have to lean out my motor, i'ts slowly breaking in, so far I love the plane.

sc

SC

The plane came from southern VA, I think I'm the fourth or fifth owner. I've heard of the Black Dirt field but have never flown there ;)

Still waiting on a servo that got lost in the system so mine hasn't flown yet.

Awesome, post some pictures when you get a chance, and let me know if you want to come up and fly. It would be great to host you.

sc

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Will do, flew it for the first time today. got in three flights and was really happy with it!

Kids are going back to school soon, do you fly during the week at all?

Joe Hunt

150cc
OMG, I transport mine in a trailer, I can't believe he got it into a corvette. It's an awesome plane, I'm starting to have to lean out my motor, i'ts slowly breaking in, so far I love the plane.

sc

Yeah, I had only been flying a couple of months when I got mine back in 2001. I thought it looked great, but what occurs to me now is that I didn't know that it was really a state of the art ARF. I never really thought much about H9 after that. But, after getting their 3.1m Sukhoi recently it dawns on me that they've been putting out nice planes all along. They're probably in a little better financial position to do it right than most. I mean, all of us want to design and sell our own planes, right? :) But, getting it done and making money at it, that ain't easy. What's the old saying that Dave Johnson told me when I was a noob?... "Want to make a million dollars in the RC hobby? Start out with two million, you'll end up with one million." haha

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
SC

The plane came from southern VA, I think I'm the fourth or fifth owner. I've heard of the Black Dirt field but have never flown there ;)

Still waiting on a servo that got lost in the system so mine hasn't flown yet.
The IMAC NE Regional Finals are scheduled for the weekend of Sep 18-20. It's open to anyone that wishes to fly IMAC, basic to unlimited. You guys should come on up....beautiful field to fly at and tons of great folks.

google ... 178 Indiana Rd, Goshen, NY

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
The IMAC NE Regional Finals are scheduled for the weekend of Sep 18-20. It's open to anyone that wishes to fly IMAC, basic to unlimited. You guys should come on up....beautiful field to fly at and tons of great folks.

google ... 178 Indiana Rd, Goshen, NY
Maybe if I had a qualified coach nearby I'd consider it. :geek:

Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I have posted anything. I actually got bit by the Turbine Jet bug and have barely flown the Cap or any prop plane this year. I'm writing to check if anyone has an extra canopy. I was moving it around the shop and the I dropped the turtle deck and the canopy cracked (AWWWW bummer).

I hope someone has one available, I'd like to get this plane back in the air next season. Hope to hear from you.

sc

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I have posted anything. I actually got bit by the Turbine Jet bug and have barely flown the Cap or any prop plane this year. I'm writing to check if anyone has an extra canopy. I was moving it around the shop and the I dropped the turtle deck and the canopy cracked (AWWWW bummer).

I hope someone has one available, I'd like to get this plane back in the air next season. Hope to hear from you.

sc

Check ebay. I found everything I needed to make a 10yo DL50 new again. Good having you back. Really want some vid of you flying that CAP 232. I really enjoyed mine.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hi Guys,

sc
Which CAP is this? I do not remember. I have seen a few CAPS for sale on other sites lately. Perhaps there is still a canopy around.